Practice Tutorials

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

VPSean

Practice Tutorials

Post by VPSean »

Along with the blessings and curses of fantastic programs such as MediaMonkey that I mentioned in my last post is the fact that most users hardly even know the full capacity of the various programs they have. The average user generally needs to do one thing at any given moment in time and nothing else. For example, most users would probably get media monkey, add the music they have on their hard drive to the database, and then leave it alone!! They won't have any need to use all the other great features of the program until randomly, they realize they need to use one of the tools such as tagging. The only problem is that they don't know where to start, even though it might be a VERY simple thing to do. Being an arranger of music, I've run into this problem quite a bit using the notation software program finale. It could take me several hours to find one small thing I need to use from it, though it could be just 3 clicks a way that I'm unaware of.

What I've seen in the past (though I don't remember where) is a short video tutorial on how to do various things. In media monkey, the way I envision it would be that the creators of it would record a video on the computer of them doing something, such as "tagging," -- It could be titled "How to tag your music." On top of the video there would be recorded audio of the creator explaining what he's doing; it could even have some flash text written on part of the screen to help explain the steps that he's using. As the very end of the tutorial that could really be less then a minute, it could quickly review what just happened:

"In summary, to tag your music you want to go about the following steps:
1. Go to the location of your music.
2. Right click the file.
3. Write in your tags.
4. Click tag"

(Of course with a little more description..that was just a quick example of the idea).

Even better than just short video tutorials could be a series of videos that really "teach" the user to master the program. The tutorials would start from the very basics of using the program, and could even give practice exercises to commit what was taught to memory. The first law of learning after all is repetition. Media Monkey could have some short sample mp3's on it's site to download, and could use those as the "practice" mp3's.

"Practice tagging the Media Monkey MP3's: Use the tutorial on tagging, adding album art, etc. to master the different ways to tag an album. As shown in the tutorials there are a few different ways to do similar tasks, and depending on what you're trying to accomplish, one method might be better than the other. Once you completed one method for tagging; go ahead and untag (use the "Deleting Tags" tutorial) the files, and do it again in the other way..."

Just thought I'd throw that out there!! It'd take some planning and organizing from the creators, but I don't think it would be anything to hard or that would take to much time. Write a list of all the different things Media Monkey can do, and then set out to get a program that will record what you're doing on the company. Write out the "audio" that you want to speak on it to explain what you're doing, and do it! Have a couple of us review the tutorials before adding it to the program, and you're set!!

If the creators like this idea please let me know. I'll be curious to know what your thoughts are.

--Sean
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i have made a few help programs for other applications that use the msagents to explain how to use the app.

that is very time consuming and when i got it done the app was updated.
so i had a quick redo of some of the instructions.

i feel the same would happen with the video here if done for media monkey.

i believe if it is done at all it should be by a well versed 3rd party who
is able to explain things in plain language not computer lab tech langauge.

they would also have to beable to give the instructions in writen notes
to other people that do translation for their own language's this will
be very long process and might start for mm3 release but end up being finished in time for mm4 release?

still if any one is able to have the time to do this help video now is the time to do it. start with the basic stuff that does not change in the library
use. and when mm3 is out then you can go to the player video help.

but to qoute elvis presley " a little less talk and a lot more action "
is what this idea needs now.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
VPSean

Agreed

Post by VPSean »

hehe...I agree about the less talk and more action! Unfortunately all I'm useful for in this case is the talk part! :-?
Rosie64

Re: Practice Tutorials

Post by Rosie64 »

Hi,
I just found Media Monkey-I was looking for something other than iTunes, which I struggle with. I'm no novice to computer use, but...... ugh. With Media Monkey, I've managed w/o too much difficulty to find all my music, put it in one folder and remove the duplicates. It was time consuming but do-able. My next project is album art. I have no idea how to do this but was searching for tuts.

I for one believe that tutorials are the best things around.... I commend anyone who takes the time to make them.

I fancy myself a great digital artist thanks to hundreds of tutorials using the program Paint Shop Pro. tutorials result in me saying "yeah!" as I am walked through click by click how to do things.

Rosie
prump

Post by prump »

I totally agree with the idea of user friendly videos for 'Tips and Tricks'. One of the best uses for the internet, period. "How to do..."
Not so sure about practice mp3s. That's somewhat different. lol. :D

Found a few 'tutorials' up on YT already, for MM. But, more generally speaking, I think that people working on software (or in a building) tend to forget that new customers just entering the facility are often overwhelmed with options and signs and stimulus. I experience this nearly everywhere I go with nearly every customer service interaction I am cursed with having to deal with. How many times have you asked where something is and had some snarky retail associate tell you "right under that sign that says (whatever it was you asked about)" ? :D What is totally common sense to them, logging their 300th + hour in an environment is totally alien and new to every single potential customer.

I've even had co-workers get snippy with me over suggesting we simplify the area so new guests (at the hostel I was at) could actually see the sign pointing to the recycle bin. "How dare you, Mr New Guy, suggest I take down my sloppy wallpaper of meaningless magazine pictures to make it easier for people to actually see the thing we're complaining they never see!" Or whatever. lol. OlyWa! Pft.

Anyways, I agree with your general sentiment, OP.

All the bells, horns and whistles in the world are meaningless, and can actually work to overwhelm new, potential customers...if it's not easy to use and *intuitive*. If the signs, symbols, and words you must click on to get something done...don't make sense from the get go. Without having to be explained in a FAQ. As an example of forward thinking jukebox software that does it right I point to Jajuk. They don't have a burning capabilities and so are of no threat to MM, but the layout is awesome and very, very intuitive.
Ultramarine

Post by Ultramarine »

I agree, sounds like a great idea.
A 'Thinks I wish I'd Known!' type thread.
Gr8dub

Post by Gr8dub »

Media monkey has become too cluttered, it took me forever to create a new playlist and figure out how to add songs to it.
Gr8dub

Clutter

Post by Gr8dub »

MediaMonkey has followed the trend by being cluttered and unmanageable. It took me forever to create a new playlist and add songs to it. I've used MM for years but was away from it for a long period. The new format is cluttered and confusing. The right has 2 or more columns for what I don't know. All I need is the center playlist and the menu on the left.How do I get rid of the multi level in the center and create the simple one level now playing list on the right?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Edit > New Playlist does this.