2220 - confused re Track Properties Save button in Online tabs

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

2220 - confused re Track Properties Save button in Online tabs

Post by Barry4679 »

I am looking at the detail panel for an album, ie. the one with the MyLibrary|Online toggle.

If I toggle to the Online view, and then open the File Properties dbox for a track, I can make tag changes, and Save those changes.

What is that for? ... where do they get saved, and for what purpose?

It appears that I am looking a some YouTube content that you have found for the specified album|track.
The track|album may, or may not, be in my MM db ... ie. I may, or may not, also have that item in my collection.

So where does the Save button persist my changes ... it is not in the MM db, nor my track.
Presumably you don't update YouTube.

I think that you should either disable the Properties menu item for all of the Online panels ... or make them read-only, by disabling their Save buttons.

Or is there some function there, that I don't understand?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
MiPi

Re: 2220 - confused re Track Properties Save button in Online tabs

Post by MiPi »

Thanks, it was bug, it should allow only filling path (e.g. by searching using YT button). Will be fixed in the release 2222.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MiPi wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:42 pm Thanks, it was bug, it should allow only filling path (e.g. by searching using YT button). Will be fixed in the release 2222.
If that is all it is for, do you think it would be be better to have a simple dbox just for that purpose, rather than showing the whole Track File Properties suite of panels?

I say this because it is relatively easy to get confused. Steps:
  • Go to the detail page for an album that you have in your collection
  • toggle to the Online panel for this album ... it is almost identical, ie the top half is the same ... same image, same wikipedia text, same genre list
  • toggle back and forth, checking track lists ... get confused where you are
  • go to Track Properties dbox ... if you are in the Online toggle, Surprise! ...most of the track tags are gone ...??! ... MM looks broken
Further to this I think that it is a reasonable assumption, if someone sees that you are showing the full File Properties dbox for this online version, for some purpose ... ie. a purpose other than that fact that it was just easier for the programmer if he reused the File Properties dbox, just to display a single field.

They are likely to see all the empty tags and think that something has gone wrong.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
rusty

Post by rusty »

There are a couple of reasons to keep the same dialog/structure:
- if the user has added an online track to their library (in which case the fields become editable)
- if the user has a playlist consisting of a mix of online & local tracks it would be strange to have the dialog change structure upon clicking 'next'

I guess what you're looking for is an indication that the fields are not editable?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:15 pm I guess what you're looking for is an indication that the fields are not editable?

Not really I was mostly just wanting an explanation of what the facility is for, and what it does. ... When I opened this thread, all the tags for an online track were in active state, so seemed to be allowing me to save tags for a online track version, into nowhere. ... ie. the changes were not persisted in my MM db, and the tracks was somewhere in some read-only store in someone else's Youtube account.

A recent change has made the tags all read-only, except for Location and FileName, which improves things a little bit.

But I still don't understand.
rusty wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:15 pm There are a couple of reasons to keep the same dialog/structure:
- if the user has added an online track to their library (in which case the fields become editable)
Here is a track in my GPM library, which is sync'd with my own local track copy. ... is this what you mean? ... I have linked an "online" track to my MM library. So now MM now knows the both my local, and my online location, for this track.

But when I look at the "online" properties for this track, you still seem to pointing off to a video in a YouTube location.

You say that it is editable? Why would I ever want to separately edit the properties for the online version ... and I can't anyway because all the (mostly blank) properties are now read-only.

I think that it confusing because you show me a File Properties dbox which is familiar to me. It appears to have six tabs of info (Classification, Lyrics, Artwork, etc etc), but most of the tabs are empty and read-only. .... I was saying that it appears to be broken, and that some more lightweight dbox may be better for "online" tracks ... the only indication, that this is an "online" track, is that everything is empty and broken looking ... a confused user may conclude that MM is broken if they don't realise that have crossed over from My Library => Online
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

If you switch to [Online] tab then it is _not_ showing your library/GPM track, but it is showing "online" tracks from MusicBrainz.
i.e. tracks that you don't have in library, but you can add them.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:07 am If you switch to [Online] tab then it is _not_ showing your library/GPM track, but it is showing "online" tracks from MusicBrainz.
i.e. tracks that you don't have in library, but you can add them.
Yes, I understand that the track is not in the library.

Point 1: It is potentially confusing because you use the exact same, multi-tabbed, track properties dbox to display Online tracks. that is familiar for real tracks.

There is nothing in that display to indicate that this is an online track, other than the fact that 99% of the tags appear as empty ... the other conclusion, that the user may come to, is that MM5 is broken, or the db has become corrupted. ... I know this, because that is what I originally thought. It is not too hard to lose track that you are in the online tab, because the Online & MyLibrary tabs are almost identical ... ie. same art display, same Wikipedia display, etc.

The other thing that allows this confusion is that the heading of the dbox is "File Properties" ... confusing, because you may have a file for this track, but this isn't it ... this isn't a "file" at all, even though it looks like it is.

Agree that it is not a big issue. You have already fixed my primary issue; ie. previously you had enabled the save button for this read-only virtual data.

It would be better, IMO, if it was clearer ... even if it is only a differentiating dbox heading like "Online Properties for this track"

Point 2: this is also confusing where you have synced tracks to one of the online locations that you support ... this tab says that it is from an online location ... if the data is from MusicBrainz, the tab should say that, because the expectation would probably be that you are displaying data from the online location that I sync'd to.