Where is the Node Tree View in MM5???

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

monkeyfan1970

Where is the Node Tree View in MM5???

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

Hello Good Day,

Finally I decided to take a spin on MM5. I have been using MM4 for several years. And hands down it is the best player in my opinion. One the most important and biggest feature that sets MM4 apart is the Tree View.

How can I achieve this setup in MM5? I want to get a Artist Tree node (With Album Drop Down) on the left panel.

If can't. Please you add this fundamental important feature in MM5.

Thank you.
dypsis

Re: Where is the Node Tree View in MM5???

Post by dypsis »

You can get it going to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\SampleScripts, and running showAllNodes.mmip.
There are also a bunch of other scripts that I haven't tried myself. I will have to try some of the others. :)
There are also a couple of skins in the skins sub-folder.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

If you play with MM5 for a while, you may come to agree with the Designers, that the new navigation tools in MM5 are a superior replacement for the Media Tree sub-nodes. ... That is where I have got to with MM5, and I don't miss them

Not everybody agrees. They ship MM5 with a script that adds the "missing" nodes back into MM5 ... I think that it is \MediaMonkey 5\SampleScripts\showAllNodes.mmip

There is discussion that they may move to having a toggle option to do this ... ie. no need to load the script
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
monkeyfan1970

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

dypsis wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:07 pm You can get it going to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\SampleScripts, and running showAllNodes.mmip.
There are also a bunch of other scripts that I haven't tried myself. I will have to try some of the others. :)
Thank you! Found it.

Barry4679 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:12 pm If you play with MM5 for a while, you may come to agree with the Designers, that the new navigation tools in MM5 are a superior replacement for the Media Tree sub-nodes. ... That is where I have got to with MM5, and I don't miss them

Not everybody agrees. They ship MM5 with a script that adds the "missing" nodes back into MM5 ... I think that it is \MediaMonkey 5\SampleScripts\showAllNodes.mmip

There is discussion that they may move to having a toggle option to do this ... ie. no need to load the script
Thank you Sir! It should be integrated by default.

Call me old school! Came from Musicmatch in the 1990s and Musicmatch when died I switch to Media Monkey! When you have 40K tracks in your library, I prefer the Media Tree View. It is uber simple. No artworks and endless scroll. I always prefer to sort by Artist as opposed to Album. I an quick jump to Artist faster. All Artist and their associated track are neatly "GROUPED".

Yes. Not everyone agrees. How is this superior to none Tree View? I tried and it does not work. There is no grouping. You can't beat Media Tree its sub-nodes.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

monkeyfan1970 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:54 pm
dypsis wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:07 pm You can get it going to:
Thank you! Found it.

Barry4679 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:12 pm If you play with MM5 for a while, you may come to agree with the Designers, that the new navigation tools in MM5 are a superior replacement for the Media Tree sub-nodes. ... That is where I have got to with MM5, and I don't miss them

Thank you Sir! It should be integrated by default.

Call me old school! Came from Musicmatch in the 1990s and Musicmatch when died I switch to Media Monkey! When you have 40K tracks in your library, I prefer the Media Tree View. It is uber simple. No artworks and endless scroll. I always prefer to sort by Artist as opposed to Album. I an quick jump to Artist faster. All Artist and their associated track are neatly "GROUPED".

Yes. Not everyone agrees. How is this superior to none Tree View? I tried and it does not work. There is no grouping. You can't beat Media Tree its sub-nodes.
I guess that is why Magic Nodes is so popular in MM4.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

monkeyfan1970 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:54 pm Call me old school! Came from Musicmatch in the 1990s and Musicmatch when died I switch to Media Monkey! When you have 40K tracks in your library, I prefer the Media Tree View. It is uber simple. No artworks and endless scroll. I always prefer to sort by Artist as opposed to Album. I an quick jump to Artist faster. All Artist and their associated track are neatly "GROUPED".

I have a big library too, not much bigger than yours. I think that MM5 works well, once you get to grips with it.

Here's a couple of examples.

You say that you sort by Artist ... here I am in the AlbumArtist node, so things are sorted, and grouped, by albumartist. ... I see 75 artists on my screen ... in MM4, in the vertical Media Tree, I could see just 50 artists without scrolling. ... In MM5, usually these boxes would be populated with pictures of all the Artists. I have this turned off because I regularly blitz my MM5 environment during this beta test stage, and all the downloads are a waste, because they are not being persisted.

MM5 contextual filter is always listening. ... I type the letters roll ... it filters to any albumartist with a word starting with "roll"

.... Or you can toggle a setting, to make MM5 to "scroll to", like MM4 Media Tree did, rather than "filter by"

You wanted to see things Grouped ... click in The Rolling Stones in the above panel, and this navigates to a nice inlaid panel, where I can see my 26 albums by the Rolling Stones

There is no endless scroll ... I typed 'roll", and clicked once, and I am here already ... not much difference to MM4 ... but more powerful; ie. I also found Sonny Rollins, without having to remember his first name, and I also found a Thelonious Monk album which has AlbumArtist tag set to "Thelonious Monk & Sonny Rollins"

I can continue from here; click on one of the Rolling Stones albums, and this opens album to show the tracks

Or if I was in the Album node, instead of the AlbumArtist node ... everything would have sorted and grouped by album

I type roll again here, this time I am filtered to:
  • all albums by the Rolling Stones
  • and all albums by Sonny Rollins
  • and the album Rock and Roll Animal by Lou Reed
  • and the album Let It Roll by George Harrison
  • etc
This is a small example ... there is a lot of power and flexibility there ... it is worth trying to get to gripes with it ... no documentation or tutorials unfortunately

The concern that I have, with forced population of the all the nodes in the Media Tree (MM4 style), is a hit on performance, just to populate a whole lot of nested sub-nodes, that I will never open.

As you reported in another thread MM5 appears to be sluggish in comparison with MM4 ... hopefully this is due to all the debug code that MM5 will be dragging around at the moment.

I am happy that the nodes can be populated ... just as long as I can turn it off.

I have done quite a lot of playing with MM5 ... I think that it is really good ... am now disappointed and frustrated whenever I go back to my production db in MM4.

dypsis wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:33 pm I guess that is why Magic Nodes is so popular in MM4.
I don't know how popular Magic Nodes is ... I expect that you know that all public utterances indicate that Magic Nodes is not going to be ported to MM5.

Either they didn't know that, or they didn't care ... because they don't appear to have baked much of its superb flexibility into MM5.

I have Magic Nodes. I use it, but not very extensively.

I am sorry to lose it, but in truth, the gains in MM5 give me more than I lost.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

I also have a large library and have used MM4 and MM5 (when it doesn't crash) for at least 5 years and have never once used nodes to select music. The column browser + Show Details or Show Art with Details (MM4) provides what I regard as a much superior approach because I can organize the column browser to display the relevant information for each collection = Album Artist - Artists - Album for the Jazz Collection and Composer - Work - Conductor - Artist for the Classical Collection. I didn't even notice that MM5 didn't display nodes until people started complaining about it.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I don't use the nodes either .. so don't miss all the clutter :)
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for your feedback!

Just FYI: The addon has been just removed and for the future builds (2220+) there will be a new "Show all subnodes" config item in the new context menu of media tree: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 188#c55721
monkeyfan1970

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

Barry4679 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:32 am
monkeyfan1970 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:54 pm Call me old school! Came from Musicmatch in the 1990s and Musicmatch when died I switch to Media Monkey! When you have 40K tracks in your library, I prefer the Media Tree View. It is uber simple. No artworks and endless scroll. I always prefer to sort by Artist as opposed to Album. I an quick jump to Artist faster. All Artist and their associated track are neatly "GROUPED".

I have a big library too, not much bigger than yours. I think that MM5 works well, once you get to grips with it.

Here's a couple of examples.

You say that you sort by Artist ... here I am in the AlbumArtist node, so things are sorted, and grouped, by albumartist. ... I see 75 artists on my screen ... in MM4, in the vertical Media Tree, I could see just 50 artists without scrolling. ... In MM5, usually these boxes would be populated with pictures of all the Artists. I have this turned off because I regularly blitz my MM5 environment during this beta test stage, and all the downloads are a waste, because they are not being persisted.

MM5 contextual filter is always listening. ... I type the letters roll ... it filters to any albumartist with a word starting with "roll"

.... Or you can toggle a setting, to make MM5 to "scroll to", like MM4 Media Tree did, rather than "filter by"

You wanted to see things Grouped ... click in The Rolling Stones in the above panel, and this navigates to a nice inlaid panel, where I can see my 26 albums by the Rolling Stones

There is no endless scroll ... I typed 'roll", and clicked once, and I am here already ... not much difference to MM4 ... but more powerful; ie. I also found Sonny Rollins, without having to remember his first name, and I also found a Thelonious Monk album which has AlbumArtist tag set to "Thelonious Monk & Sonny Rollins"

I can continue from here; click on one of the Rolling Stones albums, and this opens album to show the tracks

Or if I was in the Album node, instead of the AlbumArtist node ... everything would have sorted and grouped by album

I type roll again here, this time I am filtered to:
  • all albums by the Rolling Stones
  • and all albums by Sonny Rollins
  • and the album Rock and Roll Animal by Lou Reed
  • and the album Let It Roll by George Harrison
  • etc
This is a small example ... there is a lot of power and flexibility there ... it is worth trying to get to gripes with it ... no documentation or tutorials unfortunately

The concern that I have, with forced population of the all the nodes in the Media Tree (MM4 style), is a hit on performance, just to populate a whole lot of nested sub-nodes, that I will never open.

As you reported in another thread MM5 appears to be sluggish in comparison with MM4 ... hopefully this is due to all the debug code that MM5 will be dragging around at the moment.

I am happy that the nodes can be populated ... just as long as I can turn it off.

I have done quite a lot of playing with MM5 ... I think that it is really good ... am now disappointed and frustrated whenever I go back to my production db in MM4.

dypsis wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:33 pm I guess that is why Magic Nodes is so popular in MM4.
I don't know how popular Magic Nodes is ... I expect that you know that all public utterances indicate that Magic Nodes is not going to be ported to MM5.

Either they didn't know that, or they didn't care ... because they don't appear to have baked much of its superb flexibility into MM5.

I have Magic Nodes. I use it, but not very extensively.

I am sorry to lose it, but in truth, the gains in MM5 give me more than I lost.
Thanks for sharing your workflow. If it works for you, great! I feel that there is so much of real estate lost in all the album view and icon view. I always prefer a list view. Nodes hands down is still way superior! It is compact, neat, no album / Art view.

This setup is totally bonkers. Haha! At least for me. Yes! Visually it looks nice and all the sub panel. But so much of real estate is lost. It is no longer compact.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/60w7ohu4j8gbs ... 4.png?dl=0

I am all about learning new things and new workflows. Giving users the options to setup the way they like is key. :) Will play, explore and test more.
yarguy wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:26 pm I also have a large library and have used MM4 and MM5 (when it doesn't crash) for at least 5 years and have never once used nodes to select music. The column browser + Show Details or Show Art with Details (MM4) provides what I regard as a much superior approach because I can organize the column browser to display the relevant information for each collection = Album Artist - Artists - Album for the Jazz Collection and Composer - Work - Conductor - Artist for the Classical Collection. I didn't even notice that MM5 didn't display nodes until people started complaining about it.
Every one is wired differently. They may see data and structure differently.
Ludek wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:54 pm Thanks for your feedback!

Just FYI: The addon has been just removed and for the future builds (2220+) there will be a new "Show all subnodes" config item in the new context menu of media tree: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 188#c55721
Thank you! Looking forward to future builds.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Would it be wise to uninstall the Tree Node add-on before upgrading to 2220?
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Just what we need. Something that will make MM5 even more bloated. What is wrong with this being an add-on? Clearly from the comments, there are users who will never miss the nodes so it is not a core function. And for that matter why is the whole Google Play thing an add-on? It seems to be taking a lot of space on disc and slows MM5, not to mention the coding (and recoding and recoding) time for what I suspect is a minority of users. The way MM5 has gone makes staying with MM4 an even better proposition for me. The ONLY and I do stress that plus I have found in MM5 is that will connect to Chromecast devices. If you were add that to MM4 (even as an add-on) I would never come near MM5.

dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I'll miss the tree nodes. I like the small real estate it takes up rather than the congestion of the other option.
Peke

Post by Peke »

dypsis wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:01 pm I'll miss the tree nodes. I like the small real estate it takes up rather than the congestion of the other option.
I am big fan/user of tree nodes, but I confess that new approach will be much much better for both use approaches as user can mix both MM4 and new MM5 behavior. Also it opens more options to tweaks/polishing in the future MM5 versions if needed.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts