How To Transfer MM4 Database To Another Computer With MM5 [#16176]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

dypsis

How To Transfer MM4 Database To Another Computer With MM5 [#16176]

Post by dypsis »

Hi.
I have MM4 running on a desktop computer with a database that has many years of data on it.
I have been testing MM5 on a laptop for several months and would like to transfer my MM4 database over to my laptop running MM5 as I don't have much on my current MM5 database.

How do I transfer my MM4 database over to another computer running MM5 without causing problems?

Thanks! :)
Barry4679

Re: How To Transfer MM4 Database To Another Computer With MM5

Post by Barry4679 »

dypsis wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:07 am How do I transfer my MM4 database over to another computer running MM5 without causing problems?
There are multiple ways to achieve this. One hands-off method would to be try the new backup|restore database feature in MM5.

Assuming that you are happy with the MM5 database on your old PC:
  • install MM5 onto your new computer
  • On each computer, open MM5
    • Press Yes to allow the backup to run on your old computer
  • Open the folder on your old computer, you should see the backup; a file with a name like MM-201912xxxxxxxxxxx.DB
  • copy that database to the MM5 database location on your new PC
  • Run the ManageDatabase|RestoreFromBackup option on the new computer
Health Alert:
  • I have not tested the database restore function in MM5
  • someone should test it
  • maybe you can volunteer? ... the worst that could happen is that you find a new bug for them to fix :D
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Hi Barry.
Thanks for your reply.

Just to be certain here.
I have MM4 on my old desktop PC with years of data on the MM4 database.
At this point in time, I don't want to install MM5 on my desktop PC.

I have MM5 on my laptop which I am using to test MM5.
I simply want to transfer my years of MM4 data onto my laptop that is running MM5.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

dypsis wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:28 pm I have MM4 on my old desktop PC with years of data on the MM4 database.
At this point in time, I don't want to install MM5 on my desktop PC.
My guess is that it is still probably the simplest way of achieving the end result that you want. You could delete MM5 from the desktop PC immediately after.
  • when MM5 first starts, it will auto-locate your installed copy of MM4, and will offer to import your MM4 data into an MM5 format database
  • you could then use MM5 to export and restore that data onto your new PC, as described previously
It is simplest because it doesn't involve a series of questions about how|where you installed MM4 on your old computer. ... And only the MM Devs could safely advise how to spoof MM5 into thinking that the computer already has a prior install of MM4, and whether they pull MM4 data from anywhere other than the MM4 db file.

Or you could move your whole MM4 installation onto your new computer, so that a new install of MM5 there could detect MM4, and do its thing with the MM4 db.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I'll mess around with it and see what I can do.
By the way. I don't have MM4 on the laptop that is running MM5, so I will have to manually copy it over.

I wonder if there is an import function with MM5.

Eventually, I am sure there will be plenty of people wanting to know how to successfully achieve it.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

dypsis wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:28 pm By the way. I don't have MM4 on the laptop that is running MM5, so I will have to manually copy it over.

I wonder if there is an import function with MM5.
You won't have to copy MM4 to your new computer if you temporarily install MM5 on your old computer, to perform the conversion of your MM4 db.

MM5 does have an import function ... it only accepts MM5 backups AFAIK.

The issue is that MM4 has neither:
  • any backup function
  • nor any way that the UI can tell you the location where your MM4 database is stored
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

OK. So run MM4 and MM5 together, then once it has converted, copy the MM5 database over?
Will it keep my MM4 programs and database in tact?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

dypsis wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:45 pm OK. So run MM4 and MM5 together, then once it has converted, copy the MM5 database over?
close :D

Read my first post again. ... after MM5 has made it's own converted copy your MM4 db, run the MM5 database backup ... it will save an export copy of the MM5 db.

Then copy the MM5 backup to the MM5 database location on your new computer ... and then Restore the backup.

nb. Maybe the MM5 database backup function saves to some export format? ... or maybe it is just a complete physical database copy? ... I don't know, but it doesn't matter. ... the point is that their database Restore function could be more safely be assumed to like the output from their own backup function.

It doesn't make any difference to what you are trying to achieve, and it does just complicate things for you, but you are asking to dive deep. Maybe MM Devs could comment on the following:
  • I do know there has been some migration, comparing MM4 to MM5, regarding what is stored in the MM database, and what is stored in the various config files for each edition
  • q1. When MM4 does its (optional) auto-import from MM4, does it import data just from the MM.db, or does it also get data from the ini file or any other MM4 files?
  • q2. Does the MM5 database backup|restore file contain just database info ... or does it also preserve some data from the persistent.json file?
  • q3. Is it ok to restore from a MM5 database file, or does it have to be from a MM5 backup file?
  • q4. Can MM5 restore from a MM4 database file ... ie. will MM5 detect that the database needs to be upgraded from MM4?

dypsis wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:45 pm Will it keep my MM4 programs and database in tact?
As I said earlier I have not tested the Restore function

But I have tested the MM5 auto-import function about a gazillion times, and I am confident that it does no damage to MM4 programs and database :D
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

if you want to just copy the database (MM.DB) and not the settings (MediaMonkey.ini) then you can transfer the MM.DB file from the desktop to the laptop and replace it over MM5.DB file on the laptop, this will also auto-update the database to the MM5 format.

But I suppose that you moved also the music files from the desktop to the laptop? In that case you might want to use locate moved/missing files feature.

Another choice is to install MM5 on the desktop as _portable_ version (it will ask you to import MM4 database and settings) and then transfer the portable MM5 install to the laptop (just transfer whole the install folder).
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

That's easy just copying and replacing the MM4 database, Ludek.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Further improvements and more user friendly experience is added at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16176 (devs only for now till framework gets shape)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dypsis

Re: How To Transfer MM4 Database To Another Computer With MM5 [#16176]

Post by dypsis »

Thanks, Peke. :)
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I'm still having problems upgrading my MM4 database to MM5.
I've been persisting with this for months, but it's still not working properly.

I used the portable method as described by Peke. But it gives me duplicates.
But what's worse than that, the duplicates with the valid data have an invalid path.

Here is an image of a small sample of my files showing the invalid path.

[]\ should be D:\

Locate Moved / Missing Files doesn't find them.

Seriously, this needs to be made a whole lot easier.
There are other players that are so simple to do it.

By the way.
I can never turn off "Scan At Startup" via the MM5 GUI. It never sticks.
I always have to go to MediaMonkey.ini and turn it off there under the [AutoScan] settings.
Last edited by dypsis on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Based on that image it looks like you have duplicates of those files in which case MM5 will list them as non found due the fact that you search path where duplicates are.

eg. if you have "c:\1\1.mp3" in library and "[]\1\1.mp3" duplicate, so you try to locate it at "c:\1\" you will get that screen as "c:\1\1.mp3" is already in Library so it will ignore it. Thing you need to do is to delete "c:\1\1.mp3" from library and do locate search again which will pair "1.mp3" with new path and will not create duplicate.

Please let me know if it is unclear.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

If I try to play any of the [] tracks, it will play another random track from my Library.

The MM5 database is so flaky after updating from MM4.
If I just use a clean MM5 database, then all seems to be OK.

So, which one do you want me to try and delete?
The one with the correct data, but the corrupt link, or the one with the incorrect data with the good link?

What if I completely remove all tracks from the library, shut MM5 down, then add the new database and start MM5?