Moving Other Files when Auto Organizing [#15983][#17047]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

1337haXXor

Moving Other Files when Auto Organizing [#15983][#17047]

Post by 1337haXXor »

So I finally made the jump to MM5 after holding off for a while. I love the new design and it runs very smoothly! With the exception of one rarely used script that I miss (Auto Increment Track#), I've gotten everything else set up almost exactly the same as MM4 and everything works perfectly EXCEPT one thing I can't figure out. I have an "intake" folder for new music that I add to the library, then I correct/edit any tags before Auto Organizing (Ctrl+R) to my main Music directory. All of this works fine as before, except it does not give me the option to also move other files in the folder (logs, artwork, etc.). I couldn't find anything on this in any of the options menus, am I missing something?
1337haXXor

Re: Moving Other Files when Auto Organizing

Post by 1337haXXor »

I've narrowed it down; if you auto-sort one album, it moves all of the other files like artwork or logs and sometimes deletes the remaining empty folder. BUT if I auto-sort MULTIPLE ALBUMS (even by the same artist), it does NOT move any files other than the music.

Would there be any way to implement it like the older version of MM which had a popup dialogue box where you could checkbox each item you wanted to move or not?
Peke

Re: Moving Other Files when Auto Organizing

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I tested this behavior and added it as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15983

Please feel free to add another test case/problem you are finding.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
1337haXXor

Re: Moving Other Files when Auto Organizing [#15983]

Post by 1337haXXor »

Awesome, thanks!
1337haXXor

Auto-Organize doesn't move all extra files

Post by 1337haXXor »

I posted about this a while ago and it seemed to get more reliable, but it still only works about 30% of the time for me.

I have easy testing, as I'm going through and adding release month/date to my release years, and my folders are organized: Artist -> YYYY-MM-DD - [Album Name]. (It used to be just YYYY - [Album Name])

I'll usually edit an entire artist's discography, then Ctrl+R to auto-organize them to the new structure. To be clear, it has ALWAYS moved the audio files without issue. And it seems like the "simpler" the other contents are, the higher chance of moving them all. For example, if I just have a cover.png in each folder, most of the time it will move those and delete the old folder. But if I have multiple arts, logs, cues, etc., there's a much lower chance of it functioning. The dialogue to move the other files comes up.. about 80% of the time. But even those times it does, it sometimes fails to move files.

I believe that IF it does indeed move all extra files, it deletes the old, now empty, folder, so that's not an issue.

EDIT: Yeah, no clue. I just did my whole I See Stars discography. Edited just the release dates, then Ctrl+R'd it. Of the 6 albums that moved, 4 of them came up in the "move additional files" dialogue, but the only files listed were some of the covers and some of the .logs. Lots of stuff was missing, and none of the .cue files came up.
Ludek

Re: Auto-Organize doesn't move all extra files

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for reporting, I see the same, for me the accompanied files are never moved (and the confirm dialog isn't shown at all),
entered it as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17047 to fix this for the next build
1337haXXor

Re: Moving Other Files when Auto Organizing [#15983][#17047]

Post by 1337haXXor »

This is fixed it seems, thanks!

Though as a subsidiary issue, it does not move folders within the folders. Most of my albums have the scans in a separate folder. I forgot to mention that in the earlier post. Though I imagine some people would not want to move folders within folders with auto-organize? If that's the case, maybe having an option would be great.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

1337haXXor wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:06 pmI imagine some people would not want to move folders within folders with auto-organize? If that's the case, maybe having an option would be great.
I think that people would want it move folders within folder, as you suggest. ... ie. to follow what would happen if we did the job manually using File Explorer.
That should be the default, and probably only, behaviour IMO.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

Okay, with further testing, it seems it does move folders IF it moves any other file in the same directory as the audio files, like a log, cue, or even just the one cover. But if the ONLY thing in the directory with the audio is a folder, it will not move it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Folders are not accompany files. My rip folder have hundreds of folders if it moved all folders it will influence thousands of other media files.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts