2192 - AutoTag feedback

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

2192 - AutoTag feedback

Post by Barry4679 »

#1. It appears to crash silently, and does not process all tracks that were selected. ... or the UI is non-informative about what to expect ...Steps:
  • selected a group of tracks
  • initiate auto-tag via right click menu
  • it runs for a while ... status bar reports processing n of m tracks ... and then it silently stops without process all selected tracks ... the Auto-Tag dbox remains open with panel title saying "Auto-Tag: Tracks 1 to 100 of 2224"
I don't know whether this is a bug, or a bit of testing code that has been left in place, or is just a dud UI that doesn't inform me what to expect.

I PM'd a debug log file to Ludek

[UPDATE] after thinking about this I suspect that it is a dud UI ... ie. the update button is titled "Tag & Continue" .... it is "dud" because the panel has a heading narrative that explains this auto-tag facility, but does not mention that large selection batches are broken into smaller sub-batches

I pressed the "Update & Continue" button, and got this dump ... I pressed "Send Log" ... log does not appear to be sent ... MM frozen ... btw. that is 3 out of 3 dumps from version 2192, over two days, that do not seem to have been sent to you ... I will create a separate thread for this issue.

#2. MM5 seems to report that every track has tags errors ... they do not appear to be resolvable

Every track appears to have a problem with the Year and the Date tags ... the tooltips do not explain the issue ... if I check the tracks, and then "Tag & Continue", the issue is not resolved ... nb. this was a small batch, and did not have the crash mentioned above

#3. Auto-tag configuration appears to be ignored
I configured auto-tag to ignore the Date and Year tags ... this seems to have no affect ... ie. you still show the Date and Year columns in Auto_tag action dbox ... they are still hi-lite ???

#4. Row Remove option is broken

The Auto_tag dbox offers a Remove option in the row's right click menu ... the menu option is broken ... it does not remove the row from the db (nor the track)

#5. Request ... auto-tag is tiresome to use at the album level

could we have a album selection checkbox, like this, please?

#6. Suggestion ... default to off the processing of art during auto-tag

The processing of track art adds a significant delay to the processing of a large batch ... an unacceptably delay IMO
There is no "obvious" way to cancel the request ... I do see that the Esc key cancels the batch ... but this is not obvious .. MM5 has taught me in numerous places that it does not accept the Esc key to cancel long running batches ... its singular use here is another of the infuriating inconsistencies in the MM5 UI

Due to the large delay. I think that it would better if the processing of the art was "opt in" rather than "opt out" ....you could put a runtime opt-in check box at the top of the Auto-tag dbox, up by your explanatory head, eg. "Auto-tag looks up track metadata ... etc etc"
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
PetrCBR

Re: 2192 - AutoTag feedback

Post by PetrCBR »

Thanks for your feedback!
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643