MM5 2188 Displays transparent popup window

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Linwood

MM5 2188 Displays transparent popup window

Post by Linwood »

I left MM5 uploading to GPM, and indeed it still is (on 2402 of 2528 so it has been going quite a while).

I checked back with it, and it has a modal window displayed that is transparent. I can move the window around, but it stays transparent.

I have seen this before and just dismissed them (I am not sure it was in the same situation). I include a screen shot so you can see it.

While experimenting on it, I double clicked where the title bar should be and it maximized and came visible. It's a generic error message.

This is just the top left corner of a full screen view.

I would argue that in addition to having a display problem, showing this error while the program continues to sync is not particularly useful -- it does not give a context (e.g. track being uploaded) so you cannot go back and check that it uploaded properly. Basically it is not useful to the user -- there's no indication what they should do about it. I am not suggesting you make it disappear, so much as asking whether there is in fact some action one should take?

But clearly being transparent is just weird. :wink:
Linwood

Re: MM5 2188 Displays transparent popup window

Post by Linwood »

When the current sync finished, I got a window that quite nicely summarized the upload errors. At least I assume if there was more than one all would appear here.

So in retrospect, I think the popup window is pointless, as well as transparent.

PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

That transparent window is really weird ... is it reproducible for you ? If so, can you make me a debuglog ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Linwood

Post by Linwood »

I think it occurs only when there's a (probably transient) error in communications.

I tried reproducing it by disconnecting the network and running a sync but it just sat there, no popups.

I could wipe all the GPM files and try uploading again, but I fear a debug log of that would be incredibly large (and still dependent on luck to get an error). Any idea how I could minimize it?

However, I will also go back to the idea that this popup is redundant if there is a summary log at the end which includes the tracks and error.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Linwood wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:13 pm I could wipe all the GPM files and try uploading again, but I fear a debug log of that would be incredibly large (and still dependent on luck to get an error). Any idea how I could minimize it?
Locate this file: /scripts/googleMusicUploader/helpers/cloudServices_add.js

And change the code from

Code: Select all

ODS('GPM upload status:' + file.status + ', server_id: ' + file.server_id);
if (file.status == "TRACK_COUNT_LIMIT_REACHED")
       _this._showError("Maximum number of tracks exceeded");
to

Code: Select all

ODS('GPM upload status:' + file.status + ', server_id: ' + file.server_id);
_this._showError("always shown false positive error");
which will show the dialog on each upload try (false positive)
Linwood

Post by Linwood »

No luck. I ran it 4 times, with various arrangements of windows and what I clicked, and each time the window appeared fully visible.

Something about the amount it uploaded? This time I just deleted one file each time on GPM so it would upload, the prior time it was doing thousands.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

ok, so I suppose that the dummy "There was an error while connecting to Google Play Music..." window is now always shown, but always fully visible and not transparent?

Anyhow (as you indicated) the transient error should not be shown at all (only the summary error box at the end) -- which was already fixed in 2190.
So not a big deal atm.