Page 1 of 1

Feature Request: Categorize Artist Discography by Album Types [#15835]

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:43 pm
by Monkeyphile
When viewing an artist I clicked on the "Online" toggle in the upper right of the viewing pane and noticed that the albums were categorized by Albums, EPs, Live, Complications, etc. I love this! I want to be able to do this with my collection!

Side note - I am not sure why so many articles focus on roon vs jriver - MediaMonkey seems to be the best of both worlds! Assuming a few requested tweaks and features are added ;)

Re: Feature Request: Categorize Artist Discography by Album Types

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:08 pm
by Peke
Hi,
Main problem with MM5 Library is that Album info do not contain that information so it can't be sorted by that.

Anyway I like the idea and added it as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15835

Re: Feature Request: Categorize Artist Discography by Album Types [#15835]

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:05 pm
by yarguy
Monkeyphile wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:43 pm
Side note - I am not sure why so many articles focus on roon vs jriver - MediaMonkey seems to be the best of both worlds! Assuming a few requested tweaks and features are added ;)
Does MM4 or MM5 unfold MQA files? Does either integrate HQPlayer? What about DSD files? Does MM5 play classical compositions as compositions? With appropriate metadata (WORK and PART tags as regular - not custom - tags)? Does MM stream Tidal and/or Qobuz? More than just tweaks, my friend.

Re: Feature Request: Categorize Artist Discography by Album Types [#15835]

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:37 am
by Peke
Hi,
> Does MM4 or MM5 unfold MQA files?

I have not seen any issues to play HQ Files on MM5 (NOTE: MQA are usually distributed in FLAC container)

> Does either integrate HQPlayer?

Can you please explain what do you assume by HQ Player, MM4 and MM5 uses plain decoder and if you assume ASIO then it is not supported WASAPI is very close to it.

> What about DSD files?

We are in process of testing full DSD support, but standard is still bit vague.

> Does MM5 play classical compositions as compositions?
> With appropriate metadata (WORK and PART tags as regular - not custom - tags)?

Can you please explain, not sure what you are referring to? If standard Tags for Classical music exist then MediaMonkey use them and representation of tags and properties edit depends on File Type, so if you select Classical Music as File Type then File Properties will be different accordingly to preferred tags for that Type.

> Does MM stream Tidal and/or Qobuz?

No, MM5 do not support up streaming to streaming services natively. There is a way to do that but no simple One click Plug and Play option. I hope that it ill be made in future as I advocate streaming support. Local DLNA streaming is supported as of MM4, Chromecast is supported as of MM5 and AirPlay is supported thru third party plugin for long time.

Re: Feature Request: Categorize Artist Discography by Album Types [#15835]

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:55 am
by yarguy
Peke wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:37 am
Hi,
>I have not seen any issues to play HQ Files on MM5 (NOTE: MQA are usually distributed in FLAC container)

Because users who want true hi-res no longer even bother with MM?

>Can you please explain what do you assume by HQ Player, MM4 and MM5 uses plain decoder and if you assume ASIO then it is not supported WASAPI is very close to it.

Not so. https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

>We are in process of testing full DSD support, but standard is still bit vague.

But not so vague that the players monkeyphile mistakenly thinks don't differ from MM haven't implemented it for several years.

>Can you please explain, not sure what you are referring to? If standard Tags for Classical music exist then MediaMonkey use them and representation of tags and properties edit depends on File Type, so if you select Classical Music as File Type then File Properties will be different accordingly to preferred tags for that Type.

WORK and PART are easily tagged in Musicbrainz Picard using the Classical Extras plug-in. Songkong also has a (rather awkward) way of doing this. Get a trial version of roon and/or Audirvana to see how they use Work and Part to allow the user to play compositions rather than tracks or albums. I sent you a PM with more info on this.


I am gla dto hear you think streaming should be part of MM. But the programs monkeyphile doesn't understand already integrate the streaming services in such a way that the streamed albums/tracks are almost indistingsuishable from albums/tracks on a local drive or NAS.

Re: Feature Request: Categorize Artist Discography by Album Types [#15835]

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:56 pm
by Peke
Hi,
>I have not seen any issues to play HQ Files on MM5 (NOTE: MQA are usually distributed in FLAC container)
>>Because users who want true hi-res no longer even bother with MM?
To be honest True hi-res playback equipment costs several tens of thousand, I am really not sure why they use any software except one for bit streaming to DAC.
>Can you please explain what do you assume by HQ Player, MM4 and MM5 uses plain decoder and if you assume ASIO then it is not supported WASAPI is very close to it.
>>Not so. https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html
I can't use it I am an ATi GPU preferred. But that is completely another concept as that player is DSP along with serious hardware eg. 1k GPU + rest of High end Hardware. Also Desktop app is 200€ and HQPlayer 4 Pro is 2390€ so I am not sure what you want to imply with MediaMonkey which lifetime license cost 48.82€.
>We are in process of testing full DSD support, but standard is still bit vague.
>>But not so vague that the players monkeyphile mistakenly thinks don't differ from MM haven't implemented it for several years.
Not sure, what are you talking about, as DSD was not so widely supported and was constantly debated about licensing http://www.ip.philips.com/licensing/program/45 it is like you say why MMW not break DRM as there is number of apps that do that. Gray area is a bit gray and we like to play safe.
>Can you please explain, not sure what you are referring to? If standard Tags for Classical music exist then MediaMonkey use them and representation of tags and properties edit depends on File Type, so if you select Classical Music as File Type then File Properties will be different accordingly to preferred tags for that Type.
>>WORK and PART are easily tagged in Musicbrainz Picard using the Classical Extras plug-in. Songkong also has a (rather awkward) way of doing this. Get a trial version of roon and/or Audirvana to see how they use Work and Part to allow the user to play compositions rather than tracks or albums. I sent you a PM with more info on this.
Classical Extras Plugin is whole new dimension and it only uses Picar Interface and function but is app on itself with ton of options https://github.com/MetaTunes/picard-plu ... cal_extras and it can be made as a plugin to work in both MMW (Discogs and musicbrainz exists) and MM5 if needed by any third party developer
Audirvana is 65€ and partnered with large paid databases and you need to have subscriptions with them also, I am not sure how this is comparable with free tag searching.
Roon Charges 119 USD a year just to access database https://roonlabs.com/pricing.html and https://kb.roonlabs.com/File_Tag_Best_Practice which are less than https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... erties/4.0 and only thing that I see is matter of Sorting and as MMW support Multi Sort eg. HOLD CTRL+Left Click on Sub Sort Columns I do not see the issue even UI is Bit different.
>>I am glad to hear you think streaming should be part of MM. But the programs monkeyphile doesn't understand already integrate the streaming services in such a way that the streamed albums/tracks are almost indistinguishable from albums/tracks on a local drive or NAS.
Again I am not sure what are you talking about, I am in Broadcasting industry as of 1993 when was in High school and started to work at local radio station.
Streaming Industry was struggling all those time and even now good streaming apps cost ton of money and many many many work hours to make things not good but fair and managing in those apps high number of files can be very tricky.

Do not get me wrong MediaMonkey should be flattered but you are comparing Honda Civic Type R with McLaren 720S as it is compared with much expensive choices on the market with so little feature missing. That for sure can and will be improved in future.

Re: Feature Request: Categorize Artist Discography by Album Types [#15835]

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:36 am
by yarguy
monkeyphile said there was no difference between MM and the roon/audirvana type player. I merely pointed out how wrong he was.

Re: Feature Request: Categorize Artist Discography by Album Types [#15835]

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:55 pm
by Peke
Hi,
I was just expanding it a bit more with more detailed investigation and even tried to compare thru a simulated debate, but they can't be compared. I was really surprised how on first look it can look similar, but if you dig deeper they are completely different worlds.

I still stand by https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15835 should be somewhat added hopefully without rising the price in order to be in pair with others 8) :wink:

Re: Feature Request: Categorize Artist Discography by Album Types [#15835]

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:33 am
by MMuser78
Peke wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:37 am
We are in process of testing full DSD support, but standard is still bit vague.
Sounds great, I've been waiting for MediaMonkey to support DSD for years :)