Question re MM5 Media Share config [#15687]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Question re MM5 Media Share config [#15687]

Post by Barry4679 »

This is mostly a question, not a bug report or a request.

MM5 install optionally imports config from MM4, and this results in MM5 Tools|Options|Library|MediaSharing listing the same Servers as MM4 ... ie identical Server Names and ports.

In my environment, Both MM4 & MM5 show the same server as being enabled and running. ... ie. MediaMonkey4 Library, <actual ip address>:15873

When MM4 & MM5 are running concurrently what is happening? ... both versions of MM are publishing a server with the same name? .. or both versions of MM are subscribed to an independent server with the name MediaMonkey4? .... when I browse to this service with my Sonos equipment, who is responding?

This seems a muddle. Is it?

What is the recommended configuration when starting fresh with MM5? .... presumably I should Add a new server with its own name? and turn off the server spec imported from MM4? ... why doesn't the MM5 install program do this for me when it imports my config from MM4? ... ie. clone from MM4 config, and then make unique by appended MM5 to the name, and assign its own port number?

If I am manually adding a server, what is the recommended setting for IP Address on the Server tab ... ie. Automatic or the actual IP address? ... what are the use cases for each?

What is the logic used when you suggest a port number? ... is this just random, or do you check somewhere to see whether it is already in use?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: Question re MM5 Media Share config

Post by Ludek »

Yes, if they have the same IP port and runs on the same machine then they are in conflict.

So you should either run only one instance of MM4/MM5 (preferable and the most expected user-case ?) -- or rename the MM5 server and assign another port to it. Then you can run both MM4 and MM5 instances of the server at once.

EDIT: if you want to run both instances then you might rather want to create a brand new media server instance in MM5 -- so that it gets different UDN (other than the MM4's one), to be sure that other DLNA clients on the network don't consider it as the same server instance. In that case you will need to select it as sync server in MMA (if you use MM5<>MMA wifi sync feature)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

If I am manually adding a server, what is the recommended setting for IP Address on the Server tab ... ie. Automatic or the actual IP address? ... what are the use cases for each?
'Automatic' is preferred -- as it uses IP of the network interface from which the requests are coming. i.e. works in multiple network interfaces environments (for clients from various network interfaces).
What is the logic used when you suggest a port number? ... is this just random, or do you check somewhere to see whether it is already in use?
Random between 10000 - 25000, but feel free to use a custom once you are sure that no other app is utilizing it and you have opened this port on your router/firewall.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:25 am Yes, if they have the same IP port and runs on the same machine then they are in conflict.

So you should either run only one instance of MM4/MM5 (preferable and the most expected user-case ?) -- or rename the MM5 server and assign another port to it. Then you can run both MM4 and MM5 instances of the server at once.
It is not the most expected use case during testing .... I run both ... so I can look for bugs, and so I can listen to music when playing with the non-listening features of MM5

Wouldn't it be best if the MM5 installer amended name and port when it imported config from MM4, so that they are not "in conflict"

Thanks for your info.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Wouldn't it be best if the MM5 installer amended name and port when it imported config from MM4, so that they are not "in conflict"
I don't think so, because as I wrote in my "EDIT" post later the UDN wouldn't be changed. So MMA would still see it as the same sync server instance.

We could create a completely new server instance when importing MM4 database, but this is not quite logical and expected behaviour.
e.g. currently MMA can still see the same server (no matter whether it was running by MM4 or is running by MM5 now) -- and thus no change is needed on MMA side and config re the Wi-Fi sync.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:51 pm I don't think so, because as I wrote in my "EDIT" post later the UDN wouldn't be changed. So MMA would still see it as the same sync server instance.

We could create a completely new server instance when importing MM4 database, but this is not quite logical and expected behaviour.
e.g. currently MMA can still see the same server (no matter whether it was running by MM4 or is running by MM5 now) -- and thus no change is needed on MMA side and config re the Wi-Fi sync.
I don't know what a UDN is, and the internet is swamped with references where UDN = Undiagnosed Diseases Network or Ultra Dense Network.

I don't need to understand what you are saying, but doesn't the customer end up in a confusing situation if they have taken your MM4 option to install the MM server as a service? ... I mean your default configuration for MM5 has an identical server name ... ie. "MediaMonkey 4 Library" ... how can they tell which is running? ... does installation of MM5 close down the MM4 version, and start up the MM5 version? ... ie. are you sure this OK? .... do we need to know that we have to uninstall the MM4 version somehow, and then install the MM5 one?

MMA isn't the only thing using the MM media server ... ie. I can browse my custom indices from my Sonos

PS. is your PM inbox full again? ... You have not read messages send during the weekend.
Ludek

Re: Question re MM5 Media Share config [#15687]

Post by Ludek »

UDN stand for 'Universal device name', it is unique UUID. But as you said -- you don't need to understand it.

As for the MM running as service. The MediaMonkey Service is stopped while MM4/MM5 instance is running.
So the only conflicting situation is when two MM4 instances (or combination of MM4/MM5 instances) are running simultaneously -- which (I still believe) is rather rare and unexpected use-case. Or maybe is use-case during MM5 beta testing, but for the future MM4 >MM5 upgrades (of the same app) it is expecting to preserve all the data (being imported from MM4) and thus no need to select a new sync server in MMA etc.

If you need to run multiple instances of MM for whatever reason, then you can still configure multiple servers.
Or do a fresh install (without importing data from MM4) which will create new MM5 (different) server instance.

PS. is your PM inbox full again? ... You have not read messages send during the weekend.
No, I just haven't had a chance to check it yet ;-)