Cannot install NOR build on an Raspberry pi 2

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

laurent4x

Cannot install NOR build on an Raspberry pi 2

Post by laurent4x »

Happy New Year to all,
Long time user of MM and since 4 years now user of an Raspberry MediaCenter,
It is a (Debian) Linux system on top of an Dual Core 1Ghz Cortex A9 ARMv7 + 1GB DDR3 RAM
(brand = Vero OSMC See @ https://osmc.tv/vero)

Why not combine them and get the best of both world ?

I've though the installation should go easily as I was able a couple of year ago to install some Java appz with mySql databases... so MediaMonkeyServer should be OK ?!

So let's test installing MediaMonkey Server on the OSMC

Well first stop was the installer couldn't be executed
"impossible d'exécuter le fichier binaire : Erreur de format pour exec()"
(French Locale for some format error on the binary)

So i suppose your buillds are not aimed for ARM architectures ? No big deal this is open source so let's build it by ourselves !

but no chance : Javascript dev landscape is still so hostile with billions of frameworks every single day....
There is a no-way-around error building the Node's sqlite3 module on ARM !
I've spend one hour googling on this and trying dozens of alternatives to build the dependency, but nothing could be done .

Well this is a digest of my experience.
Must confess i'm a bit disappointed,
Don't think there is much you can do @MediaMonkey as it is the whole Node's ecosystem who seems faulty (as i said Javascript's landscape is an hostile one),
but anyway, if someone can post a hint or two I will be more than glad to pursuit my tests.

IMHO, this platform (Raspberry ) should not be left : more and more people are building really affordable, cheap, mediacenters with a big storage attached to the osmc or kodi system. it runs smoothly for movies, music, streaming, IPTV etc etc,
MediaMonkey providing a "REAL" music system on these platform will be most valuable.

Thanks
jiri

Re: Cannot install NOR build on an Raspberry pi 2

Post by jiri »

Hi Laurent,

we definitely do want to support Raspberry. I actually got MMS working there some time ago, but there were some changes since that probably introduced the issue you observe. I'll look into it and let you know then.

Jiri
jiri

Re: Cannot install NOR build on an Raspberry pi 2

Post by jiri »

Hi Laurent,

I tried to install MMS from sources on my Raspberry and it worked fine. To clarify, I just downloaded the latest sources from github and run 'npm install', which takes quite a long time, but finishes eventually. I suppose that in your case, you might be missing some dependency, please mail me the exact error message so that we can work it out.

Note that this will no longer be an issue hopefully soon, when sqlite3 package (https://www.npmjs.com/package/sqlite3) will start providing precompiled arm binaries, which currently is the case only for Win, Mac and Linux (x64).

Anyway, to simplify this for those who don't want to care about compilation at all, I uploaded pre-build MMS at https://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/mms/MM ... -0.2.1.zip, you can just unzip it and run './mms'.

Jiri