Inconsistent way: device profile select collections to sync MM4 <> MM5 [#15239]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Zonky

Inconsistent way: device profile select collections to sync MM4 <> MM5 [#15239]

Post by Zonky »

Hi,

just discovered a, IMO, an inconsistency while selecting any collection for device synching in device profile customization:
MM4:
I can decide to select an entry from within the collections, e.g. a playlist. Doing so MM4 automatically selects all available playlists on the right side.
As a second step I can check/uncheck the appropriate playlist to my needs. I can do this the other way round, too: first select any playlist and the appropriate collection gets automatically checked.
MM5:
Behaves different: when checking a playlist from the collections on the left side, I cannot check/uncheck the desired playlists on the right side. OTH when first selecting a plylist, MM5 automatically checks the collection entry playlists on the left side.

Maybe this behaviour is by intention, maybe it's an issue you should look into?

Thanks,
Michael
Peke

Re: Inconsistent way: device profile select collections to sync MM4 <> MM5

Post by Peke »

Can you add screenshot from MM5 as I am able to select only few playlist for sync.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

I'm already in touch with Michael and reproduced his issues in device settings.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Thanks to you both!
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

In case this should be fixed in build 2135, I can report, issue not fixed!

Once again, have a look at version 4. When selecting the entry Music from the available collections, all related items on the right side are automatically checked. Unselecting Music again does unselect all files on the right panel.

Version 5 works different: checking Music from the colletion, on left side, does NOT select all available file items from the right side. I would expect similar behaviour as it was in MM4.
Further more, when the checkbox on the collection (left) side is checked - I cannot check any items from the right side. All items are just greyed out. This is a different behaviour as it was in MM4.

I guess that my initially reported issue was not fixed in this release.

Michael
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

For me version 4 and version 5 works the same way.

If I select whole "Music" collection (on the left) then the items on the right are grayed out and I can no longer select them (whole music is selected).
If I deselect whole Music collection then the selected items on the right are active again.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Thanks for this thread. I have started playing with MM5 sync, without any experience of MM4 sync. Up until now I had not been able to understand how the controls on the "Auto-Sync -> Device" were supposed to work. ... I thought that the left and right hand panels must have been independent. I didn't notice that the check boxes had three states ... Maybe I am at fault, but I think that the UI needs better explanation. ... The MM5 version is even more deficient that the MM4 version (*see note below)

Michael, like Ludek, I cannot replicate what you are reporting. ... maybe post an image? so he can be sure he understands what you are saying.

other observations

The MM5 version has one improvement over MM4: the "hide unselected" checkbox is now active when the item is check on the lhs, which wasn't the case with MM4.

But the MM5 version lost the tool-tips, which hopefully is just a bug, as it is not a helpful omission .. (ie. now missing "nnn audio files (x:y:z) selected" on the lhs, and also the track contents when hovering over an album on the rhs)

And I think that the UI would be clearer if you restored, and improved, the missing label as shown below. I think that would have helped me understand how sync selection worked:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5epnj7we9uikf ... x.png?dl=0

And it would be good if you added a facility like the "Show At Most" thing from autoplaylists, ie sync at most n tracks|megabytes|minutes.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:08 am And I think that the UI would be clearer if you restored, and improved, the missing label as shown below. I think that would have helped me understand how sync selection worked:
Thanks, the missing label was actually removed by accident in the latest build, it will be there again in 2137, thx.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Ludek wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:28 pm For me version 4 and version 5 works the same way.
If you run different versions than me, this may be true :wink: At least here it works different.

Please see those videos I've just created to outline the issues I've mentioned above:
MM4: https://streamable.com/yojef
MM5: https://streamable.com/anoo0

Please have a look yourself - Thanks!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Michael,

which version of MM5 are you running?

I am running 4.1.23.1881 ... my version of MM4 behaves exactly as MM5

I much prefer what you are seeing with your version of MM4 ... it is difficult to understand how the UI works without that extra functionality IMO.

Maybe the new version of MM4 (I presume that I am on the latest?) ... maybe the new version has broken something? ... or maybe you have installed a script that has improved MM4 vanilla behaviour?

------

Ludek,

you didn't mention the tool tip functionality which is missing from MM5 ... that is going to be transferred to MM5 also?

also I was suggesting that the missing label be live, ie. that it made clear that the rhs related to just the chosen node on the lhs, see the image that I posted
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Barry4679 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:47 pm which version of MM5 are you running?
I am running 4.1.23.1881 ... my version of MM4 behaves exactly as MM5
Hi,

MM5: 5.0.0.2135 alpha
MM4: Latest version available - don't have it here at work right now.

And no scripts are running beside on to clean up album images and one to fetch lyrics. All plain vanilla.
Anyway, I think that the behavior of MM5 is not the way a Windows user would expect, especially when using a tree structure like the one in MM with subitems and selecting a higher level node and its child nodes are not automatically checked/unchecked.

Michael
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I see the behaviour is only different for the 'Playlists' node, the other nodes (collections) works same as in MM4.

Tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15239
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Ludek wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:53 am I see the behaviour is only different for the 'Playlists' node, the other nodes (collections) works same as in MM4.

Tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15239
Ah - that's it. Thanks for confirmation!

Michael
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:53 am I see the behaviour is only different for the 'Playlists' node, the other nodes (collections) works same as in MM4.
What are you going to do about this?
The MM4 behaviour, with regard to playlists, seems much better than the other behaviour IMO ... ie. the MM4 playlist GUI behaviour clarifies the relationship between the lhs & rhs panels ... This is not obvious in your current GUI IMO

Some of MM5 functionality is hidden, as if MM5 was one of those puzzle games ... eg. status bar display hidden behind a click of the spinning wheel ... I would have bet money that a click in the wheel would pause the task, and would never have thought to look there to enable the status bar messages

I also have trouble with your comment about the missing MM5 tooltips
The info is already available via the bottom capacity bar (showing amount of audio/video content to be synced), so having it in the tooltip seems redundant to me
1. I don't see any stats relating to the download in the capacity bar
2. the MM4 tooltip shows me size of this potential sync item, w/o me having me having to do check the item first
3. it also shows me track list, so that I can be sure that I am syncing the correct album

Don't you think that MM4 is better here?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hvyhkaeuoz2h ... s.png?dl=0
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Barry4679 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:46 pm I also have trouble with your comment about the missing MM5 tooltips
The info is already available via the bottom capacity bar (showing amount of audio/video content to be synced), so having it in the tooltip seems redundant to me
1. I don't see any stats relating to the download in the capacity bar
2. the MM4 tooltip shows me size of this potential sync item, w/o me having me having to do check the item first
3. it also shows me track list, so that I can be sure that I am syncing the correct album
Maybe this is related with my posting here https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=92336. At least a "solution" is available there.

Michael