Version 2123 feedback

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Re: Version 2123 feedback

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 am I would prefer that "Top Tracks" was an optional view/function. imo there are already enough mechanisms to deal with large databases, eg Filters; Collections; Playlists; Views etc. If i want to listen to random tracks i can use Shuffle. "Top Tracks" seems too arbitrary & vague to be of much use.
It is optional on the Years tabs (via the tracks toggle on the subviews menu), and the setting seems to persist.

I quite like the facility. ... It's not really random tracks, which would not be of much use. It is random favourite tracks, which at least has something going for it.

I play whole albums, not mixed tracks, so it is not much use to me personally.

They have a similar idea for albums on the home screen, which I think is a great addition. It looks like it is play count weighted (true?), as it usually seems to be mostly my favourite albums. It doesn't seem to also apply any extra weighting for favourite albums which haven't been played recently, which would be a good addition for at least some of the slots IMO. ... It is good that it seems based on a partially randomised weighting, of my favourite albums, so it is not a boring static display. ... Maybe it only appears to be a randomised weighting to me because all my tracks have an equal track rating of "unrated". ... If it is not intentionally partially randomised, I would like to report that is a desirable feature IMO.

I think that is a good addition for people with large collections. It helps bring back some of the sense of connection that gets lost as your collection grows larger.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

@Barry
I agree that Top Tracks could be useful but not to me. I guess i have an aversion to the concept because I perceive it as a sort of 'Hit Parade' which is not the way i categorize or listen to music. I rarely listen to any music over & over & when I listen to Classical Music i don't listen to "tracks" but rather Works by Composers, Conductors & Artists. Having said that i don't mind if it's there as long as its not a default view & i can switch it off.
David

Post by Barry4679 »

PetrCBR wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:24 am Will add your request (about Choose columns and ability to hide Artwork column) to my TODO.
Facility to configure to remove the artwork column from Album&Tracks view does introduce a problem.

In MM4 a click on an album's Summary column cell causes selection of the whole album. This is very useful when wanting to select a whole album, or to multi-select a group of albums.

In MM5 this album select click action has moved from the Summary cell to the art thumb. ... ie. the Summary cell now contains separate clickable links for AlbumArtist & Album, but no click function to select the album without also navigating into the album's detail display ... you can Ctrl+A in the album's Detail screen to select the whole album, but without the Album Art column we would have no facility to multi-select a group of albums.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.