2113: Import database from MM4 error [#14900]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

jimbob_sf

2113: Import database from MM4 error [#14900]

Post by jimbob_sf »

I wiped my MM5 directory and did a clean install of 2113. When prompted to import the MM4 db & settings, I get this error.

LogID: 0B3FEA7D

Win10 Pro 1803 (17134.112), 64gb ram, multiple local drives.
Ludek

Re: 2113: Import database from MM4 error

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
thanks for submitting the log.
Reported as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14900

Could you please attach this file:
E:\MediaMonkey 5\Portable\MediaMonkey.ini
If you doesn't wish to share it then you could just PM me the file?

The file was either (temporarily?) inaccessible or with partial (or corrupted) content, therefore the crash appeared.

Are you able to consistently reproduce the issue?
jimbob_sf

Post by jimbob_sf »

I can't see how to attach a file, so I'll post the contents. Here's what I did to recreate:

1. Delete the entire directory (E:\MediaMonkey 5)
2. Install as my normal user (in local Admin group). I repeated by running the setup "as admin" as well just to see if there was a difference.
3. At the end of the install, i'm prompted to copy from MM4. The Portable directory has no files, but the Temp subdir is created.
4. As soon as I press Yes, the Previews and VirtualCD directories are created as well as the mediamonkey.ini with the following lines.
[Appearance]
Language=en
[System]
Skinned=1
JustInstalled=1

LogID: 0B3FEA7D

5. Once I report the log, the UI closes but the background processes of MediaMonkey.exe and MediaMonkeyEngine.exe are still running. I force close them before this next test.
6. Your note about access feels environmental. I know importing a database worked in older builds, so I deleted the MM5 directory and installed 2085 (December). I get the same behavior and errors.

Question: I've seen a .registry file in the MM5 Portable directory. Is there any information that could be in the registry or somewhere else that I need to clean up?

LogID: 2F6CEA7D
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for the info,
I see where the problem lies now.

Your MM4 ini was created by MM4 installer and MM4 was never run, thus most of the info is missing in the INI and MM5 crash appears.
Fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14900 in build 2114
jimbob_sf

Re: 2113: Import database from MM4 error [#14900]

Post by jimbob_sf »

Update: Confirmed. If I copy the MM4 ini/db into the AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey folder, a fresh install of MM5 2113 imports the MM4 settings/db just fine.

AH! What you're observing is correct, except I am likely a corner-case. I keep my MM4 INI and DB in a separate directory than the default for a full MM4 install. When I launch MM4, I do so with the command line switch to point to the INI file.

I'll test by copying the db and INI back to the default location and see if it spins up.

Thank you for finding this one!