2110 (and possibly earlier) problems

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

malkierian

2110 (and possibly earlier) problems

Post by malkierian »

So, I finally read the ENTIRE post that is made (almost exactly) for each alpha release, and it was talking about deleting "persistent.json" if UI problems occurred, and I had a crash when I first ran 2110 with my old portable folder, so I got curious. Turns out, my persistent.json file was 281KB big, and the Desktop_Maintabs section was 1900 lines long, and the Current_Tab_History was 1800 lines long. I'm beginning to think that may have been part of the issues I was having with all the other stuff going on. May want to think about having a garbage collection/trimming functionality on those things. I cut 200KB off of the file size just by reverting those two properties to their generated defaults. Side note, after reverting those two things, I didn't crash on the next startup. Don't know if that was coincidental or not.

Also, I've noticed recently that MM5 doesn't have any standard window positional functionality (where you grab the title bar, drag to the top to maximize, drag to the side to trigger side-by-side view, etc). In fact, if you click the Maximize button, then proceed to click and drag the window from the title bar, MM5 still thinks it's maximized, and will go to windowed mode upon clicking the maximize button, before going back to maximize with another subsequent click.

Would also be nice to have mouse button reactivity as well (back/forward page commands that are bound to the side mouse buttons).

Speaking of Back and Forward, I don't know if this was always this way, but double clicking an album under Album Artists, then clicking the Back button, scrolls to and highlights the album artist you just came from, but doesn't open up the album view and display the tracks of the albums you were viewing. Even just showing the album view would be nice.

Glad to see the Album Artists view back to normal. However, by following the click sequence of "Album Artists -> (Any Artist) -> (Album Artist Name)", where Album Artist Name is the link right next to the Play button, brings up the Artist view of that same name, which sometimes doesn't have any association with the Album Artist (I had a few test groups just for that, where the Album Artist was different from the Artist of any of the tracks under that Album Artist, so there are no tracks that show up in this Artist view made from the Album Artist name).

In reference to the problem Peke helped me out with in regard to the Find Missing Files functionality, it didn't crash the first time I tried it, and properly found and displayed both unmoved files and unlocatable files, but checking all of the unlocatable files and checking Remove from Library, didn't actually remove the missing files. Having "Remove unavailable items" checked in Options -> Library also still has no effect. After a rescan with only the folder that has my music in it anymore checked, all the broken files were also still there. When I ran ANOTHER scan with a folder added that some of the duplicates did belong to (where the drive letter was still there, and not replaced by a question mark), it did find the unavailable items from that previous (not the corrupted path ones), but when I tried to check all the tracks that were missing and clicked Locate Missing/Removed Files, a crash (with log ID of 0647648B, submitted to the internet) occurred. Tried it again after a forced restart, and it didn't even bring up the finished log before crashing again (with log ID of 8055F68B), apparently an access violation. I had to remove all of my folders from the library, and when I tried to add back my main one and rescan just the files I do have, I get yet another crash (log ID 45AF91BE). I had to remove the folder from my library (which made MM go to the defaults), close it out to save settings, open it back up, remove the defaults and add my folder again, to set everything right. After that, I tried to do the first thing I did here (adding the empty previous folder to the library) and scanning, then checking all and just removing them from the library, and after seemingly freezing, FINALLY it removed those ones from the library. Feeling adventurous, I went to try removing the files with the corrupted paths via File->Locate Moved/Missing Files, and seemingly before it even started the scan, it crashed (log ID 8F54E939). So I still can't get rid of those corrupted path files, short of creating a new database from scratch, which I would do except for those playlists which I can't save in any way or form whatsoever.

You know, I've wanted a way to manually edit the database file, but I would settle for a way of exporting playlists to a file, which I obviously could edit, and then being able to re-import that playlist after making my edits. If I could edit the playlists manually myself, I wouldn't be as concerned with locating missing files (which is supposed to be able to update the playlists that had those missing files in them with the files' new locations; I'm currently dubious as to whether it actually works like that at the moment, but because of the various problems, can't verify). Perhaps there could be a way of not hardcoding the full path to the files, but making them relative paths, so that if library locations change, but the file/folder structures are the same, there wouldn't have to be any updating anyway.

And all this scanning and stuff made me realize just how much I missed having the current process information show by default (under the play button) instead of having to click that loading/running icon to get it to show.
Ludek

Re: 2110 (and possibly earlier) problems

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for reporting, we are looking into the issues.

Re: persistent.json : I've just found a leak and fixed it, but those mentioned sections of navigation history are limited to 50 items, could you please share your persistent.json with us to analyze once you will get to those issues again? Thx.
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

Huh, limited to 50? Well, luckily I keep several layers of backup around, so I pulled it out and each one only had 28 entries. Perhaps 50 is just too much? Do you still want the file? Maybe it didn't really have anything to do with the number of history items.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

malkierian wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:18 am Do you still want the file?
Once it causes a crash on startup then yes, I want the file 8) :wink: