Album Artists functionality [#14838]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

e10kstarfire

Album Artists functionality [#14838]

Post by e10kstarfire »

When using this click sequence

Music -> Artists -> Madonna I am then immediately presented with a list of albums by Madonna as expected

But when I click

Music -> Album Artists -> Madonna I am presented a single line that says Madonna but NOT a list of albums, I then have to click the line Madonna....

Any reason for this, I would much prefer to immediately be presented with a list of albums as per the Artists functionality described above ?

Thanks.
malkierian

Re: Album Artists functionality

Post by malkierian »

What build version are you using? I just tested it out on 2089 and they both work the same for me.

EDIT: Confirmed, this is a change in the newest build 2104, and I don't like it either.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Artist and Album Artist nodes are undergoing change. Can you confirm same behavior in clean MM5 install and bit more elaborate what you do not like or not?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

I can't show Album Artists in the Music Tree with a fresh install because they made collections editable only with a Gold registration, and I changed the tree in my main installation before that restriction was in place. But, I can almost guarantee that a fresh install wouldn't be any different. Here's what it looks like with an Artist selected (single click) in Artist view:

https://i.gyazo.com/798089a24f36dd925d0 ... d3f93f.png

And here's Album Artist:

https://i.gyazo.com/076df97d9557a34737e ... 9cf5f3.png

Notice the distinct absence of an album list there in Album Artist view. This means it's necessary to click on the artist's name to bring up the detail view in order to see albums and tracks for that Album Artist. You would think functionality would be the same between Album Artist and Artist.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out how to get around it, but like I thought, a fresh installation doesn't look any different from what I already posted.
e10kstarfire

Post by e10kstarfire »

Peke wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:38 pm elaborate what you do not like or not?
When I click

Music -> Album Artists -> Madonna I am presented a single line that says Madonna but NOT a list of albums, I then have to click the line Madonna....

When clicking Madonna it should immediately show a list of albums.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:38 pm Artist and Album Artist nodes are undergoing change. Can you confirm same behavior in clean MM5 install and bit more elaborate what you do not like or not?
Install a fresh version of MM5
Edit the Music collection: add an AlbumArtist node, and delete the artist node

Got to Music->AlbumArtist Grid View
Click the Thumb for an Artist (the thumb, not the name underneath the thumb) ... get a line empty line opening showing just the artist name
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpjn4ehcamn3s ... k.png?dl=0

Click the artist name on that line ...
1. if I am going to Album Grid view: everything looks ok, but I have been pushed from Music->AlbumArtist->..MyArtist.. into Music->Artist->xxMyArtistxx ... ie. I have been pushed out of the AlbumArtist index and into the Artist index ... really really annoying, because if I backtrack I am in the wrong place
https://www.dropbox.com/s/533rpoll07h4f ... e.png?dl=0

2. instead, if I am coming to Album&Tracks view: ... if I am lucky, I get data for the grid, but the columns are not lined up correctly ... and I have been shunted to the Artists index!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zy6bepwfogv2 ... p.png?dl=0

if I am unlucky the grid is empty ... this happens a lot with the AlbumArtist index .... and I need to go out again, and try again ... the albums will be there this time .... btw: grid heading have a subtext 2 alongside the Album Heading, and subtext 5 alongside the Title column (ie. telling me something about the default sort sequence, but it isn't helpful info in this case ... ie. it does not show me what the primary sort field is, nor sub-sort fields 3 & 4) ... but at least I am still in the AlbumArtist index :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cx40crakyu7kd ... e.png?dl=0

If I come back later MM seems happier ... the column alignment issues seem to go away .... it is hard to get an empty grid ... it is like there is a race condition happening while some background task is completing after first start up, or background processing regarding setup for the AlbumArtist index, or something like that. ... but then if I go to a different custom index ... edit collection to add albumArtist node, and delete artist, it all start happening again.

If I click on the artist name in the beginning (ie. not on the artist thumb) ... it is all the same ... except that I don't have to go via the useless 1st step with the empty line with the Artist name.

and while talking about AlbumArtist .... why is its column sort case sensitive? ... it would be great if it sorted case insensitive, just like the Artist column.

one further thing ... the facility to Edit a collection's node is tricky to use
ie. Edit rthe collection ... select Tree Nodes ... scroll the node list a little so that you can AlbumArtist, and then click on the AlbumArtist checkbox.... the scroll position jumps, so that your eye is no longer focusing on the AlbumArtist checkbox ... you "know" that you clicked it, so press OK ... but the node is not created, because the click that you did just jumbled up the scroll position ... it didn't actually make the selection ... can that be improved?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
kaosnews

Post by kaosnews »

Can confirm that Album Artists doesn't show the albums. If you click on an Album Artist and restart the program the albums are visible (if you change the album artist the albums are gone). If downloaded the lastest Alpha version and it was a clean setup.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This issue is fixed in a latest build under https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14838

It should be released in next few days.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts