Purpose of Google Play Music in MM5?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Chondog

Purpose of Google Play Music in MM5?

Post by Chondog »

I know this was sort of asked within another thread, but deserves its own I think....

What is the purpose for including integration with Google Play Music in MM5? I have all of my music in local drives, as well as GPM, but since I haven't used GPM much, the tagging doesn't match up with my MM.db. So...is GPM in MM5 merely to be able to play your music or is there some other grand plan within MM5?
Ludek

Re: Purpose of Google Play Music in MM5?

Post by Ludek »

You can sync/copy your MM5 music and playlists into GPM. That way your music (and playilsts) are always accessible for you by another MM5 instance or any GPM client (even if you are not at home or your home server is down). Are there any specific wishes that you are missing about GPM integration in MM5? We are hearing ;-)

Thanks!
Chondog

Post by Chondog »

Like most people who dabbled in the waters of cloud music services, my MM library already mirrors my GPM library. However, over time, the tags between the two differ greatly. Will there be a way to possibly adjust tags so that they more closely match. I really like the fact that GPM access via MM shows the star ratings, as opposed to the idiotic "thumbs up", "thumbs down" rating.

Similarly, would there be a way (in future updates) to merge the two libraries and then run a script that would get rid of duplicates? Maybe it would be handled with one of the other existing scripts that do this. I just wasn't sure if something "special" would need to be done since it involves Google.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Chondog wrote: Similarly, would there be a way (in future updates) to merge the two libraries and then run a script that would get rid of duplicates? Maybe it would be handled with one of the other existing scripts that do this. I just wasn't sure if something "special" would need to be done since it involves Google.
Yes, the merging is possible by scanning GPM into library.
Go to menu Files > Add/Rescan > Add Location... > Cloud Storage > GPM
It will scan your GPM tracks into local library, but avoids duplicates, it just links the local tracks with the same metadata.