Playlist lock [#14448]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

jtheelen

Playlist lock [#14448]

Post by jtheelen »

Here's a functionality I'd like to see added to MM because it would be very useful to me (and hopefully to others as well). I'd call it "Playlist lock". The problem: I have a lot of "normal" playlist to which I add songs explicitly in a specific order. These playlist are "complete": think of a Top 100 playlist of a particular genre, year, magazine whatever. Songs are a mix of carefully selected album songs or individual songs not particularly inside an album. The problem is that I often find these playlists to become incomplete. Today for instance, after having done some (careless) maintenance on my music collection, like removing some albums I did not listen to very often, or remove duplicate songs, I saw that some songs were removed from these playlists. Therefore, I suggest the following:

- to add a checkbox to a playlist that would protect all songs included from being deleted;
- this lock can be set or lifted for each song individually;
- whenever a user tries to remove a song (for instance because it is inside an album that is removed), MM should at least cast a warning, or even better, refuse to remove the song until the lock is removed by the user (or the song is removed from the playlists that is causing the lock);
- a nice extra would be: when searching for duplicates, the song that is locked inside a playlist should be highlighted or given precedence over its duplicates in order for the user not to delete the wrong one.

I hope the explanation makes sense, and this functionality will make its way into one of the future versions of this excellent application.

Thanks!
manaswin

Re: Playlist lock

Post by manaswin »

Count my vote to this wishlist :)
manaswin

Post by manaswin »

This function may also introduced as plugin if it is not possible to incorporate with upcoming version.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

I would like locked playlists as well.
manaswin

Post by manaswin »

Please do update if anything related found somewhere by someone.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hmmm, Initially I like the idea, but main problem is that if you have duplicate files and one file is in one playlist and other is in other playlist once you delete either of those files you will automatically delete it from playlists. So if you have lock on playlist then entry in playlist would refer on non existing track and falsely show correct number of tracks that would not be playable, which I find as much worse thing than removing track from playlist.

A warning on delete would be nice to have eg. "track(s) you want to remove from library are contained in some non Auto-Playlists. Are you sure you want to remove that track as that would automatically remove them from corresponding playlists?".
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Peke

Re: Playlist lock [#14448]

Post by Peke »

I think that there is a space for an improvement so I added it as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14448 for MM5
Best regards,
Peke
manaswin

Post by manaswin »

Peke wrote:Hmmm, Initially I like the idea, but main problem is that if you have duplicate files and one file is in one playlist and other is in other playlist once you delete either of those files you will automatically delete it from playlists. So if you have lock on playlist then entry in playlist would refer on non existing track and falsely show correct number of tracks that would not be playable, which I find as much worse thing than removing track from playlist.

A warning on delete would be nice to have eg. "track(s) you want to remove from library are contained in some non Auto-Playlists. Are you sure you want to remove that track as that would automatically remove them from corresponding playlists?".
WOW, thank you to notice.
Yes, Warning pop-up is a good idea.
manaswin

Post by manaswin »

Any progress?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Not yet, we pushed such new features to MM5.1, we will be evaluating ways to implement them after 5.0 gets out.

Thank you for pointing out Increasing priority and put it in queue for 5.1 evaluation.
Best regards,
Peke