incorrect scan locations during Add/Rescan

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

incorrect scan locations during Add/Rescan

Post by Barry4679 »

steps:
  • menu option File|AddRescan
  • Press Add Location, and add a location
  • I now see this ... ie. MM has added my new location, but has also incorrectly checked an unrelated unchecked location
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
PetrCBR

Re: 2192 - incorrect scan locations during Add/Rescan

Post by PetrCBR »

First location was 'checked' but checkboxes wasn't visible (as there were just one location).
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

thanks for explanation.

I presume that you see this as a UI bug, and will fix?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Why UI bug ? There's no need to show checkboxes when you have just single folder and you cannot uncheck it (makes no sense to uncheck only folder defined).
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

PetrCBR wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:22 pm Why UI bug ? There's no need to show checkboxes when you have just single folder and you cannot uncheck it (makes no sense to uncheck only folder defined).
You got me :oops: .. now I feel stupid

It is just the way my brain works ... I noticed the lack of a (coloured) check mark, but didn't notice the lack of a empty check box, especially when that gray folder symbol is the same general shape as a check box.

On that same screen you use the enabled|disabled convention

I'm not much of a fan of UI's where controls are visible|invisible vs enabled|disabled

MM5 does this a bit ... the instance I think of at the moment is here

I think that it would be better if the Show Content Recursively control was enabled|disabled on all Folder & Location tool bars, rather than visible|invisible ... it helps users become familiar with the UI sooner.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Barry4679 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:35 pm I'm not much of a fan of UI's where controls are visible|invisible vs enabled|disabled

MM5 does this a bit ... the instance I think of at the moment is here
There is a big difference with top and bottom on. Top is library directory browser and bottom is physical directory browser.

In Top case Icon Should be Rescan and in bottom Should be Add folder as on Top Picture.

I hope I made it clear in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15899 ?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:55 am There is a big difference with top and bottom on. Top is library directory browser and bottom is physical directory browser.

In Top case Icon Should be Rescan and in bottom Should be Add folder as on Top Picture.

I hope I made it clear in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15899 ?
Peke, thanks, but I do understand that they are different, and what each of them are.

I have confused you ... or you have confused me. :)

I was not discussing Scan|Add at that point of the post ... I was just illustrating another part of the UI where a control toggles from visible<->invisible, rather than enabled<->disabled ... ie. the Show Content Recursively control, which is used both the Folders and Locations nodes.

Hopefully Petr can understand what I meant.
PetrCBR

Re: incorrect scan locations during Add/Rescan [#15899]

Post by PetrCBR »

I understand and can discuss that with other devs but i think we prefer to show/hide buttons only when they can be used (in current view, in current context) instead of make them enabled/disabled. On the other hand i know in menu/context menu we prefer opposite (enabled/disabled), but menu is different situation than toolbar buttons.
Last edited by PetrCBR on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Barry4679 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:05 am I have confused you ... or you have confused me. :)

I was not discussing Scan|Add at that point of the post ... I was just illustrating another part of the UI where a control toggles from visible<->invisible, rather than enabled<->disabled ... ie. the Show Content Recursively control, which is used both the Folders and Locations nodes.

Hopefully Petr can understand what I meant.
My bad :-? you are right I misunderstood it completely. I corrected bug 15899 to make things more clear on what I meant 8) ;)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts