SUGGESTION - default installation path in Windows

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

inverse_of_zero

SUGGESTION - default installation path in Windows

Post by inverse_of_zero »

Hi - I know this is a portable installation but still, wouldn't it make more sense for MM to install in C:\Program Files (x86)\MM5 rather than in the root C:\MM5 directory? Some (myself included) might like to have the root as clean as possible with all programs (portable or otherwise) being installed in the C:\PF directories. I have been changing it every time manually but it got annoying after a while :) Cheers!
BMF

Re: SUGGESTION - default installation path in Windows

Post by BMF »

Actually i myself can live with the manually changing of the installation path. I change it for the same reasons like inverso - to keep the root as clean as possible. But if ... how about c:/portableapps/Mediamonkey 5 as a default installation path? Installing it in a windows system directory will probably cause unforseen problems for microsoft protects the system folder in another (more severe) way than self chosen folders.

greetings

bmf
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, yes, as BMF said -- installing protable version to C:\Program Files (x86)\MM5 will cause issues as any writing to 'Program Files' needs admin rights (thus forces elevation and UAC prompt), you would have to always run MM5 as administrator to be able to constantly write data there while using MM5.
inverse_of_zero

Ah, that's why it asks for elevated privileges when needing to run MM5, gotcha. Well maybe it will be more beneficial to leave the installation directory as-is next time, thanks!
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

Hi, I wonder if it would make things easier, if the MM5 installer remembered the first-run installation path, on subsequent installs (when new alphas are released)?
inverse_of_zero

pbryanw wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:59 pm Hi, I wonder if it would make things easier, if the MM5 installer remembered the first-run installation path, on subsequent installs (when new alphas are released)?
This sounds like a great idea 💡