Simplistic way to tag songs for a specific purpose

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

History.man1776

Simplistic way to tag songs for a specific purpose

Post by History.man1776 »

Upon searching the internet for a method to tag songs in a simple way in the midst of my studying i found that there wasn't any information i could find that quite filed that need for me. I wrote this down for my own purposes but thought that it may be of some benefit to others. In any case, it may be overcomplicated and there may be a better way to accomplish the same goal. If that is the case then i would encourage a tutorial be posted here to help others. This is Simply the method that served the purpose i needed it to serve. I hope it helps ( note that this is nearly direct transfer from my personal notes on the desktop of my computer and was not intended for this purpose and as such may be a little confusing)

ethod: I encountered an issue when looking through the interface oiptions of mediamonkey regarding tagging a particular song for a particular purpose . I found doing this was a little overcomplicated for my application and was inconvenient and unnatural when put in the context of the purpose for which i was tagging it. In this particular case i was tagging music that was conducive to studying , the tagging of said music in leiu of studying ( due the the process of right clicking and going throught the context menu) caused a loss of focus, and in some cases, a loss of interest in the study i was performing. To put it colloquially it caused a loss of flow . In service to the maintenance of this flow pattern i devised a simplistic yet efficient method which i will chronicle for my own future use.
Step 1: Configure the hotkey to tag the song . Ex. I used the plus key to "tag" the song as a 1 star rating. I then set it to global so that anywhere i was in mediamonkey i could press plus and it would tag the song. It is important to use a key that is not often used but would be easy to remember .This allowed a seamless tagging of specific songs for a specific purpose.
Step 2: Tag the song with the simple press of a button
Step 3: Set your music to play in a linear fashion , meaning you maintain the ability to keep track of what you have already listened to/sorted in this fashion .
Step 4: Once you have a "batch" of songs that have been tagged , add them to the playlist of your choosing(in my case the "studying" playlist)
Step 5: To avoid double adding of songs to the playlist do a mass rating change of the songs on the 1 star rated tag list to a separate rating after you have added them to the correct playlist (in my case it is a change from 1 to 1.5 stars ) this will maintain the list without becoming confusing when adding new songs in the future.
This is the method that has worked best for me thus far. I am sure that improvements can/will be made but i was unable to find any information like this on the internet.
Peke

Re: Simplistic way to tag songs for a specific purpose

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you tried to Right click on Toolbar and customize it to include Ratings and other tag fields?

Also even Complex operations can be easily scripted and you can assign Script to HotKey.

I also completely Understand your point, but for me it was natural as I have Logitech G510 keyboard that have 48 Macro Keys for shortcuts.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts