File Properties

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

JamesSWER

File Properties

Post by JamesSWER »

Hi.
Exactly which boxes need to be checked for media monkey to NOT make any changes at all to my file including artwork,any and all properties, unless I change the file myself. I prefer to make all changes myself.
Also I plan purchasing gold version soon, will there be any additional boxes that need to be checked of unchecked then?
FYI I have version 4.1
Thanks
Last edited by JamesSWER on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Re: File Properties

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Your main problem is that once MMW scan files in library it prefer to use library info and not file tag info.

You need to rescan files after change in Third party apps like MP3Tag and under tools -> Options -> Library enable Update tag info on rescan. That way MMW will reread tracks and update library with changes from other apps.

Infer track properties do not influence on tag changes, but rather MMW tries to fill missing info from Path and filename based on common naming formats.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
JamesSWER

Post by JamesSWER »

Peke,
What do you mean by rescaning in mp3tag?
When you under tools >options> library do you mean in MM? If so this was already Checked
Thanks
Last edited by JamesSWER on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

After you make a change to the tags in MP3Tag you need to rescan the files in MediaMonkey. As MediaMonkey uses a database for tags it needs to be updated each time you change the files tags outside of MediaMonkey. This is the same for any program relying on a database.
JamesSWER

Post by JamesSWER »

That's exactly what I did the other day after I unchecked infer file propertys. The mp3s are correct when I open them on cpu or mp3tag, they only show wrong after they are in MM or other median player, it about 50 songs songs that culprit
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Create a copy of a problem file. View it through My Computer in MediaMonkey. Do the correct or incorrect tags show?
JamesSWER

Post by JamesSWER »

Yes, I made a copy of one of the songs, in my downloads on cpu that was mentioned in my original post and it has the same info ( I opened it through File> open url or file :-? :( Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Same wrong or correct info? If it is the same wrong info the problem lies with MP3Tag not tagging correctly or the file having corrupted tags (audio often is fine) preventing proper tagging.
JamesSWER

Post by JamesSWER »

I'm sorry yes when I view through MM the info is the same -incorrect. I guess mp3tag is not saving the info , How do I fix this is there another tagger I could use?

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can tag.
JamesSWER

Post by JamesSWER »

When you say "under tools -> Options -> Library enable Update tag info on rescan". Are you talking doing this in MM or mp3tag? If you are talking about "Update File info from Tags when rescanning Files" in MM ,this box is already checked.

Thanks again
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MM, and try disabling the option only for changed timestamp.

However as you created a copy of the file and it still fails the problem lies elsewhere.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
There is also another possibility that file contain multiple metadata formats.

If you find file that clkearly shows correct info in MP3Tag whenever you copy file to different location making it new to MP3Tag but that file is not read correctly from MMW my computer node (before you scan it to library) then I would like to take a look at the file.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
JamesSWER

Post by JamesSWER »

Pavle, how would I get that to you?

One other question, If I change tags through MM on a certain folder let's call it folder "a" for example and they are now correct in MM, then my cpu crashes sometime, If I reinstalled MM and rescaned that folder "a" would the tags be the same? Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

By default any tag changes in MediaMonkey are saved to both the database and the file. This means that any other program should see the changes.

You may also want to backup the database regularly. This way you have a backup of the tags independent of the files, but also Playlists and unsaved tags (like Play History).

You can upload any sample file to any file sharing (like Dropbox) and add the link to a Support Ticket.