MM DB and symbolic links

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

pushpull

MM DB and symbolic links

Post by pushpull »

I have been using symbolic links to manage my photos using Picasa across multiple PCs on my home network. All my pictures are located on my NAS unit and the database for Picasa is there as well. All the PCs point to the database on the NAS using symbolic links in the appdata folder that Picasa uses for its database on each PC. This generally works pretty well for me. The only issue I have at times is if Picasa is launched while the NAS is down. I just close it down, start the NAS and relaunch. I am the only one that ever uses these computers, so there is never any issue with a conflict occurring with multiple PCs accessing the database.

I was wondering what any of you in MM land might think about doing the same thing with MM. Currently, I just run MM on what ever PC I need at the time and therefore the database for each is different. It would be nice if they were just using one database so things like play counts would be available. Does anyone have any thoughts on such an approach?

Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: MM DB and symbolic links

Post by Lowlander »

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... e-location

However MediaMonkey is database intensive, so a network located database will slow things down.
pushpull

Post by pushpull »

Thanks Lowlander. I am aware of this information. I guess if I could just change all the files to the same location, that would mean that each MM on each separate computer would be using the same database. I am wondering if using symbolic links might be a better way to achieve this. Hard to say. Maybe I will play around with it and see what I can determine for myself.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

make sure you keep up to date backup copies if your mm.db if you store across the network.

A bad connection or disconnect while in use can easily corrupt the database.