volume levelling assistance

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

brian prunty

volume levelling assistance

Post by brian prunty »

Any help appreciated. I have some 5500 songs on MM gold and typically 40 songs per playlist. When I analyse volume and then apply volume levelling (across each playlist of 40) I still get variances of say +7 to -7 between tracks and this is based on the standard tools/options/player/sound levelling setting of 89dB. Can anyone advise what I need to do to improve the sound levelling between tracks within the playlist, many thanks.
Peke

Re: volume levelling assistance

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Firstly I would not suggest that you level tracks if you do analyze as Leveling permanently changes tracks and in case of lossy formats (MP4, M4A, OGG, ...) it will degrade quality and if you do analyze then MMW is capable to level tracks on fly thus there is no need for Leveling actual tracks.

If 89db is too low I suggest you to rise it to 95db and set both playback and leveling per track not per album.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The different values are expected for Analyze Volume. The Player uses this data to adjust the Volume on Playback if you enable Play > Level Playback Volume and all files will play at the same volume (if set to use per Track under Tools > Options > Volume Leveling).

As Peke said, using Level Volume isn't recommended as this is a permanent modification to the audio.
bltblt

Post by bltblt »

am a newbie. I cannot find where to make the selections under Tools. Play, or Tracks.
Where can I find REALLY basic instructions for volume leveling playlists?
pushpull

Post by pushpull »

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You don't level Playlists, you level music files. Select files then use Tools > Analyze Volume from the Main Menu or right click on the selected files and select Analyze Volume from the Context Menu.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... veling/4.0