Advice to replace my old IPod Classic 80GB for another devic

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Kutusov

Advice to replace my old IPod Classic 80GB for another devic

Post by Kutusov »

The older I get, the more lazy and confused I get about researching stuff like this so help me out here please :D I have an IPod Classic 80GB, which doesn't fit all my music. It's also a PITA to handle with its different cables etc. So here's what I'm looking for:

- MP3 player with at least 150 to 200GB of space.
- Good battery life.
- THAT SYNCS WELL AND EASY with MM!!! I've read somewhere about some player with 2 SD cards but I've seen a thread here mentioning difficulties syncing with those... it's fine as long as it's possible and can shuffle the entire library as if it was just one drive.
- Regular micro USB connection/charger would be nice.

Suggestions? Anything like this out there or should I seek mental health help?
Snofru

Re: Advice to replace my old IPod Classic 80GB for another d

Post by Snofru »

I have recently bought a Sony Walkman NW-A35. It has only 15GB internal memory but you can use an additional MicroSD (I currently use 128GB but 256 GB is also available).
The sound quality is excellent. Syncing with MMW is easy as soon as you have found the right settings. I took me some time to find them but I would be glad to help out with my experiences.
Battery life is excellent, they say 40h which might be realistic from my observations.

Downsides:
No MicroUSB connector but the cable does connect to any USB charger (or the PC).
Doesn´t display song ratings.
Doesn´t use play counts.

Positive:
Can play high resolution audio including FLAC.
Has all mechanical buttons you might need (I love the "Hold" button) but has also a very responsive touchscreen.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Kutusov

Post by Kutusov »

Thanks, well spotted! I had seen that one and didn't even cross me mind that it could be expanded via microsSD. I just scratched my head while thinking "they want how much for 15GB???". That's how much this was confusing me and why I decided I better ask rather than trying to figure things out for myself :lol:
xbroski

Post by xbroski »

I feel you can get an ipad 4 mini since ipod isn't getting anymore updates. Apple announced the discontinuing of ipods.
Kutusov

Post by Kutusov »

xbroski wrote:I feel you can get an ipad 4 mini since ipod isn't getting anymore updates. Apple announced the discontinuing of ipods.
Thanks, I'll look into that also. I've actually put this whole thing on hold as I'm probably getting a new car and that's where I mainly use these devices. Now there's Bluetooth, builtin hard drives etc so I'll wait to see what the car has and then decide based on that what's the right device.

...plus, I found out that my IPod is actually a 120GB model one which gives me some more room to play with :roll: :oops: Getting old and apparently can't keep up with this sort of stuff.
xbroski

Post by xbroski »

Kutusov wrote:
xbroski wrote:I feel you can get an ipad 4 mini since ipod isn't getting anymore updates. Apple announced the discontinuing of ipods.
Thanks, I'll look into that also. I've actually put this whole thing on hold as I'm probably getting a new car and that's where I mainly use these devices. Now there's Bluetooth, builtin hard drives etc so I'll wait to see what the car has and then decide based on that what's the right device.

...plus, I found out that my IPod is actually a 120GB model one which gives me some more room to play with :roll: :oops: Getting old and apparently can't keep up with this sort of stuff.
Yeah! That's technology for you, eventually everything gets old and something better comes to replace it