Roadmap

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

timepiece

Roadmap

Post by timepiece »

I would find the roadmap (http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/roadmap_page.php) a lot more useful if some of the anticipated release dates were actually in the future. Right now, the latest date on any version is February 2017. Including MMW 5, which says "Scheduled For Release 2017-02-23"

Could y'all please consider updating the anticipated release dates? So we can feel like the roadmap actually means something?
Last edited by timepiece on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VladTepes

Re: Roadmap

Post by VladTepes »

It's true they should be in the future :lol: but the nature of software development really is an "it will be ready when it's ready" type of thing. But yes it would be a nice thing to know. (if for example its months or a year away)
timepiece

Post by timepiece »

Yeah, I'm just saying that if all the dates on the roadmap are in the past, it looks like it isn't being updated in any way. Which is not reassuring. Change the date for MMA 5 to 2020, that's fine. But a sense that that document actually means something.
timepiece

Post by timepiece »

Well, lookit that! Already released versions have been removed, and there are now future dates for unreleased versions! So much better, thank you!

And boy, having the next upcoming version right at the top of the page is really nice.
MMFrLife

Re: Roadmap - [FIXED!]

Post by MMFrLife »

I agree, much nicer! I like the percentage bars as well. :)

If you put a date on something and it gets delayed, just add another week(s), month(s), year(s) to it.
...and if it gets released ahead of time, then hey, that's even better! The date doesn't have to be perfect, just
not behind. :D
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
timepiece

Re: Roadmap - [NO LONGER FIXED]

Post by timepiece »

Aaaaand we're back to all the dates being in the past. Meaning the roadmap is useless, because as far as I can tell, it's not being updated at all. At least, that's what "Scheduled For Release 2017-10-01" says to me.

Does anyone even look at it? Why post it if it's not going to be updated?
rusty

Post by rusty »

It's an automatically generated report. We continue to share it because it gives an idea of progress, but it's true--the target dates are really just targets and often shift depending on changing priorities.

Anyhow, I've reset the date to the future, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

-Rusty
MMsince1876

Post by MMsince1876 »

As always, jiri is the only one who at least tries to gives a real answer and is not huffy or educational at the sight of a critical question... :lol: