4 Channel FLAC/wav

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

4 Channel FLAC/wav

Postby Mallette » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:55 pm

It's a bit hard to tell if MM handles these from what I've seen searching the forum. I have been experimenting with 4 channel surround now for nearly a decade and have a mike plan now that provides better surround from acoustic sources than any "encoding" means I've heard. I head an NPO, the Regional Music Heritage Center in Texarkana, so accurate recording of both music and spatial information is important to me.

The world needs a software player than can deal with these as simply "dual stereo," which they are. It appears that JRiver processes such files through Dolby...no good. I have a bit of programming background but hardly an expert in matters of audio, but I am at a loss as to why such support is so hard to come by. A properly made surround recording is truly amazing, and even more compelling than stereo was over mono. I've made one outside recording where a helicopter flew overhead and the height and vector were as clearly reproduced as if it were ATMOS. And, with a lot less hassle and expense.

So, how does MM handle such files?

Dave
Mallette

Re: 4 Channel FLAC/wav

Postby MMFrLife » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:13 am

I don't have a surround system currently, but I'm guessing they would play ok.
I played the quad.flac "test" (spoken) file here and the stereo split sounded ok in 2 channel.

You can download the free version (portable mode) and try playing one.
Although, you may require some sort of "special" handling that goes beyond simple playback?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
track properties; dir/fn mask configurations; check out ZvezdanD's scripts
MMW 4.1.18.1842b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Backup 6.0; Clear Now Playing Button 1.2
...always back it up, especially before doing anything major!!!
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
MMFrLife

Postby Mallette » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks for the response. I saw a "portable" mode when I installed, but didn't use it as I really didn't know what it meant.

As to "special handling," that's specifically what I DON'T want. Over the years, I've mastered in Dolby and in DVD-Audio and the processing really seems to damage the imaging. What I want is to simply play the 4 channels just as 2 channel is played. Audacity does this, and does it just fine. But most folks don't have Audacity and I am looking for a good player, like MM, that will do the same thing but also act as the default player. The vast majority of the remaining audiophiles remain pure 2 channel for music as their experience with surround has been poor...and it is. The finest stereo is general from acoustic recordings made without a mixer and with two mikes placed "where your ears want to be." I do the same thing, but with four coincident mikes.
Mallette

Postby MMFrLife » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Mallette wrote:Thanks for the response. I saw a "portable" mode when I installed, but didn't use it as I really didn't know what it meant.

See here
It's the kind of thing that is especially great if you are into regular installs but just need to test something real quick without all the full install drama. :wink:
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
track properties; dir/fn mask configurations; check out ZvezdanD's scripts
MMW 4.1.18.1842b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Backup 6.0; Clear Now Playing Button 1.2
...always back it up, especially before doing anything major!!!
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
MMFrLife

Postby captain paranoia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:12 am

In order to play a 4-channel, dual stereo recording, you will also need a four-channel, dual stereo DAC.

Whilst sound cards do support things like 7.1 surround sound, and so would seem to have more than enough DACs to support the required four channels, I'm not sure exactly what data stream they are fed with; are they fed an 8-channel raw audio stream, or are they fed a multiplex-encoded coposite data stream, which the DSP DAC then decodes?

I've never looked into PC sound cards, so I don't know the answer...
captain paranoia

Return to News and Other Stuff