Easy Migration

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

tom stearns

Easy Migration

Post by tom stearns »

This topic has surely been dealt with before--I will shortly be increasing the size of my HDD to accomodate the unending expansion of my library. If I copy the existing archive onto a bigger drive, how do I present this to the computer which runs MEdia Monkey? In other words, I assume there's some way other than laboriously pointing to each file and using the "Add Files" command. Will Media Monket recognize the file structure on a new drive, even if Windows (always helpful) assigns a new drive letter to it?
dtsig

Re: Easy Migration

Post by dtsig »

Best bet is to use auto-organize and allow MMW to move the files to a new drive.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

dtsig wrote:Best bet is to use auto-organize and allow MMW to move the files to a new drive.
Please describe the setup and procedure. Seems like I would need to have both the "Old" drive and a bigger "New" drive connected at the same time.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, both drives connected and then use Tools > Auto-Organize Files to move the files to the new drive.
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

Lowlander wrote:Yes, both drives connected and then use Tools > Auto-Organize Files to move the files to the new drive.
Someone sent me an email asking if this topic could be closed. NO!!! I have attempted to follow every suggestion offered here plus the FAQ information and even used a second T60 computer as an experiment and found that MMonkey did not properly locate the database and did not import the playlists. So this continues to be an issue. Let me summarize:

1. Media Monkey is apparently corrupted. It freezes, drop-down menus are greyed out, it will not perfrom block Selects, and operates very slowly if it runs at all.
2. I have downloaded V4.1.18.1852 and intend to use it as a fresh install once I am satisfied that I know how to get all the playhlists and the extensively edited database file imported into the new program. The process as outlined in the FAQ seems complex and I don't understand what the problem is--the database and config files will be copied and reinstalled in the correct location for my O/S (Win 7) so they should be immediately accessed by a fresh install. The music files themselves are contained in an external drive so all that should be necessary is to be sure that the new MMonkey is looking on the correct drive letter.

If there's anything I've missed please correct me.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You're making it even more complicated then it needs to be by posting in several places: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=88577

Follow the clean install instructions: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ediamonkey except for deleting MM.DB. You don't want to keep anything else as you don't know what you've corrupted over time.

Then install the new release, copy the database to the correct location (if it isn't already) and start MediaMonkey. Then run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization checked.

You'll have to set most of your settings again, but this way any bad settings don't come in from your old install (except those in the database).
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

Lowlander wrote:You're making it even more complicated then it needs to be by posting in several places: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=88577

Follow the clean install instructions: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ediamonkey except for deleting MM.DB. You don't want to keep anything else as you don't know what you've corrupted over time.

Then install the new release, copy the database to the correct location (if it isn't already) and start MediaMonkey. Then run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization checked.

You'll have to set most of your settings again, but this way any bad settings don't come in from your old install (except those in the database).
Well I had no intention of confusing things, I just lost the link that was provided for posting a reply.

I've gone thru all the steps of a clean install, succeeded in getting the database and playlists recognized and so forth. I have discovered that all this trouble (including inability to stop Media Monkey--the ultimate freeze!!) comes from downloaded tracks I bought from Hyperion. For some reason every time I download from Hyperion I have trouble; in this latest incident instead of supplying the ALAC files I ordered they delivered M4A files. Media Monkey clearly does not like M4A--running any of this download immediately ruins performance, freezes, produces greyed-out dialog boxes and so forth. Upon request, Hyperion supplied FLAC versions but when I pasted these into the external drive folder, replacing the M4A files, they still appear in Media Monkey as both FLAC and M4A.

Now the problem is, how do I clear all this stuff out of the system? I think the reason is that I am unable to Delete the links to these M4A files from the playlist/library--they refuse to cooperate. I am sure there's a command to remove broken links but I don't know where it is.

What's the easiest way to purge all of this corruption from the external drive as well as all of Media Monkey's folders?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Removing files outside of MediaMonkey doesn't remove them from the Library. You can do this from the Music > Files to Edit > Dead Links node in the Media Tree. All unavailable files (not on unavailable drives) will show there.

I suggest you supply 1 of the troubled M4A files to Support so they can investigate what is causing the problem. It could be the file, codecs on your system or MediaMonkey.
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

Lowlander wrote:Removing files outside of MediaMonkey doesn't remove them from the Library. You can do this from the Music > Files to Edit > Dead Links node in the Media Tree. All unavailable files (not on unavailable drives) will show there.

I suggest you supply 1 of the troubled M4A files to Support so they can investigate what is causing the problem. It could be the file, codecs on your system or MediaMonkey.
I can find the "Dead Files" reference but when I right-click on it to perform the operation it tells me to highlight the file I wish to work on. So if I go to one of the M4A files in the library and highlight it, and then go back to the Dead Links button and ask it to perform, it tells me to select a file. How do I proceed? And how do I send you one of the M4A files? I do not see an "Attach" button.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When you go to the Music > Files to Edit > Dead Links node in the Media Tree you should see a list of files. Select those files and right click > Remove.
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

Lowlander wrote:Removing files outside of MediaMonkey doesn't remove them from the Library. You can do this from the Music > Files to Edit > Dead Links node in the Media Tree. All unavailable files (not on unavailable drives) will show there.

I ask again--how do I send files to Support?
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

Lowlander wrote:When you go to the Music > Files to Edit > Dead Links node in the Media Tree you should see a list of files. Select those files and right click > Remove.
Your rapid responses are very much appreciated, Lowlander.

1. The Monteverdi Vespers tracks show up in my Music screen but greyed out because not accessible. Nevertheless, they do not show up in the Dead Links screen.
I am unable to do anything with them and if I click on them the entire Media Monkey program is corrupted. How do I delete them? I am certain they do not exist on my external drive (from which I am able to delete).

2. I have a fresh download of one of the tracks from this album in both M4A format and FLAC format sitting on this PC for analysis. It appears certain that they are corrupted, altho the FLAC format will play successfully in Media Monkey. I would be delighted to send them to Support if you would give me a link. Please remember that these are around 50MB each.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Upload the file in question to a file sharing service like Dropbox, open a Support Ticket and include the link to the file on the filesharing site.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ets/Submit
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

Lowlander wrote:Upload the file in question to a file sharing service like Dropbox, open a Support Ticket and include the link to the file on the filesharing site.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ets/Submit
Here's a link: https://flexcircuits.sharefile.com/d-sd4394b5627a443d8 to the M4A version.

Please tell me how to delete the ghost links from my library--the greyed out "Monteverdi Vespers" tracks in M4A format.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Right click the offending files > Remove in MediaMonkey.