Media Monkey Pricing & Licensing

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

nickhimself

Media Monkey Pricing & Licensing

Post by nickhimself »

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this or if my opinion will be shared by anyone, but I feel like the Gold license pricing is too high and I'll explain why:

1. Media Monkey can be easily cracked and pirated as evidenced by a simple search on any popular download site.
2. A one version license is $24.95 which only covers all updates in a single major revision (4x, 5x, etc.) while a lifetime sub costs $49.95. That's a lot of money to spend on a media player.
3. Without going Gold you're limited on several features that may be available for free in other media players with larger following or company support.

I do very much like Media Monkey, but I use the free version. I don't need the premium features and I stopped pirating software like 6 years ago. I know about the cracks and simplicity therein from a friend who has pirated MM and was the person who initially turned me on to this program; he suggested I crack it but when I realized the pay-walled features weren't anything I cared about, I declined his suggestion.

I'm not interested in purchasing a Gold license for this program because it doesn't benefit me to do so, and it's too expensive for something that I have no idea how long this revision will stay updated within my license fee. If the pricing were halved or quartered, I'd happily jump on board but I can't justify spending 25 dollars on something that might go from 4x to 5x next week or next month. For comparison, I bought Windows 8 Pro for $100 but never have to pay for it again and will receive all future support for free. Why doesn't MM have a future support license without separating by revision? To me it feels like a money grab that really makes me weary of purchasing due to a cut-off date which cannot be guaranteed by anyone outside of MM's company.

If the permanent license were $20 - $25, I'd buy it right now without hesitation as I prefer MM over other media players I've used. But, there's no way I'm spending $25 on a license with support expiration and absolutely no way I'm spending $50 for a permanent license.

If I'm in the minority here, so be it. I'm 30 years old, I have a job, a house, I'm in college, and I have other responsibilities/needs that make purchases like this a frivolity which quickly fall into the "don't need" category due to price and perceived value.

I'm just hoping that putting my perspective on here might garner a dialog among users and/or staff that could hopefully lead to a price reduction or maybe at least a better future revision timeline.

I might consider purchasing a gold license for rev 4 if I knew I'd at least have full support and updates for 2013, maybe even into 2014. Because again, if users don't know how long their purchase will remain supported, it's harder to justify spending over $10 on a media player.

Edit:
I just checked the News feed history and have noticed this:
April 25, 2003 - 2.0 Released
December 25, 2007 - 3.0.1 Released
November 16, 2011 - 4.0 Released

From this timeline it seems major revisions receive approximately 4 years of support; spreading the $24.95 license over 4 years drops the fee to approximately $6.24 annually. That's a much easier number to commit to something that isn't essential.

If 4.0 came out in 2011 that means (following News history) 5.0 could feasibly see a 2015 release. If someone purchases a rev 4 license in 2014, they're wasting money by paying more for something due to poor purchase timing, but if they purchased a single year license it would be a good value and easy to re-purchase similar licensing or even upgraded licensing in the future.

Perhaps a 1-year license for $4.95 - $9.95 in addition to your current offerings could open up MM purchasing to a wider audience bringing in more revenue.

I don't know, more pricing ideas from someone who enjoys Media Monkey and also values their earned money.
Last edited by nickhimself on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Media Monkey Pricing & Licensing

Post by Lowlander »

nickhimself wrote:For comparison, I bought Windows 8 Pro for $100 but never have to pay for it again and will receive all future support for free.
So you get Windows 9, 10, etc. for free and/or Windows 8 will still be supported in 20 years? If you buy a MediaMonkey 4.x License you get all 4.x releases for free. If MediaMonkey 5.x were to be released withing a year of purchase you'd get it for free too (based on current practice). They also are amicable about 3.x to 4.x upgrade for those who had purchased 3.x more than a year prior to the 4.x release.

At this point I have not seen any plans for MediaMonkey 5.
nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

Lowlander wrote:
nickhimself wrote:For comparison, I bought Windows 8 Pro for $100 but never have to pay for it again and will receive all future support for free.
So you get Windows 9, 10, etc. for free and/or Windows 8 will still be supported in 20 years? If you buy a MediaMonkey 4.x License you get all 4.x releases for free. If MediaMonkey 5.x were to be released withing a year of purchase you'd get it for free too (based on current practice). They also are amicable about 3.x to 4.x upgrade for those who had purchased 3.x more than a year prior to the 4.x release.

At this point I have not seen any plans for MediaMonkey 5.
I won't get future Windows versions for free, just any and all updates to my Windows 8 Pro purchase for its lifetime. Windows XP's lifetime is from 10/25/01 to 04/08/14, which is almost 12.5 years of support for something that cost like $199 in 10/2001 which breaks down to less than $16 per year.

But, you're saying that the company is generally pretty good about helping people out who've purchase a license close to new revision release? I like that and it shows that they're interested in keeping customers happy which means a lot to me.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nickhimself wrote:

But, you're saying that the company is generally pretty good about helping people out who've purchase a license close to new revision release? I like that and it shows that they're interested in keeping customers happy which means a lot to me.
See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... nav=0,12,4
Licensing:

If you already own a MediaMonkey Gold license:

- Lifetime License holders retain Gold functionality (there's no need for a new license).

- 2.x/3.x License holders will lose access to Gold functionality on MediaMonkey 4:

o Users who've purchased MediaMonkey Gold 3.x between November 1, 2010 and

Nov. 15, 2011 will receive a free upgrade within a week of launch. If you haven't

received your new license, submit a support request for your upgrade, and include

your original purchase order number.

o Other 3.x Gold License holders will receive a coupon by E-Mail offering a significant

discount on an upgrade to MediaMonkey 4
So basically, if you previously purchased MM within a year of the release date of a major version, you will get a free upgrade to the new major version. Other license holders get a coupon worth a significant discount on the upgrade price (for the v3 -> v4 release it was a 40% off coupon).

I think this is more than fair to all users.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

nohitter151 wrote:
nickhimself wrote: So basically, if you previously purchased MM within a year of the release date of a major version, you will get a free upgrade to the new major version. Other license holders get a coupon worth a significant discount on the upgrade price (for the v3 -> v4 release it was a 40% off coupon).
This is awesome. I'm going to purchase a license today.
shotokan101

Post by shotokan101 »

So as it's now Feb 2018 and still no V5 on the horizon yet (?) - looks like it was an even better deal for you ;)

Jim
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Even better as you have MMW license then MM5 Alpha GOLD fully works till standalone MM5 license gets available and sold ;) If you bought Full version independent Lifetime GOLD license than you are covered further.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts