Classical Music category in MM4

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Ray12

Classical Music category in MM4

Post by Ray12 »

I have to get my 2 cents in here now that I am using MM4 in 2013; why on earth would they have such a category like
"classical music" in the tree node when you already know what the genre is. One of the obvious big problem is that some music has elements of classical and others. It is way too messy to have different libraries. However, if you are going to do something like this, the "Music" tree would include all music. I wouldn't mind being able to create different sub categories like Jazz, etc to easily access them in the tree node. But only as SUBCATEGORIES for easy access. In the end, get rid of this "classical music" as it is now. Sorry very bad idea. I spent hours moving everything under "Music" under type. For some reason, alot of my Jazz music was placed in the classical music node.
Lowlander

Re: Classical Music category in MM4

Post by Lowlander »

It's there because users asked for it.

If you don't want it you can either use the Entire Library Collection or modify (Gold feature) the Music collection to include Type = Classical Music (and disable/remove the Classical Music Collection).
Ray12

Post by Ray12 »

Ok thanks. That's an acceptable solution to be able to remove the Classical Music node in Options-->Library-->Media Tree. I see you can do what I was saying by adding a node to view entire library, as well as other categories like Jazz, etc. Although, a lot of work to set it up. So far I like MM4. Lots of nice little touches. I like the Tabs. I noticed that Art icons redraws faster when you scroll in Album views. In MM3 it didn't seem to redraw very quickly as I scrolled.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

The default "Music" collection includes types "Music", "Music Video", and "Classical music". So I really don't see the problem.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Ray12

Post by Ray12 »

nohitter151 wrote:The default "Music" collection includes types "Music", "Music Video", and "Classical music". So I really don't see the problem.
That seems to be how you have it setup. My "Music" does not include Video nor would I want it to. Including "Entire Library" seems to be beneficial. The only thing I have not figured out how to differentiate "Video" "from just songs. There is no category for just "Video". So I just added a "Custom" video category. I tried a Jazz category in the tree node but there isn't much you can do with it, since there isn't a "Type" category in properties for Jazz that appears. Perhaps it will make it too complicated.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Ray12 wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:The default "Music" collection includes types "Music", "Music Video", and "Classical music". So I really don't see the problem.
That seems to be how you have it setup.
No. As I said it is the default setting. Go ahead and install MM portable to a new folder (so it won't affect your current installation), and start it up. Check the Music collection criteria, you will see it includes the three types by default like I already said.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Ray12 wrote:The only thing I have not figured out how to differentiate "Video" "from just songs. There is no category for just "Video".
The Type field has several Video options and by default video files are assigned one of the video options: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _Rules/4.0

Type is also available as criteria in Collections options.

Post by Guest »

Classical music is not really a genre, there's different periods between classical music that vary a lot. If you don't know much, then it might be all the same, but to avid listeners, baroque music is as different from romantic-era music as jazz is to punk rock. Saying classical music is equal to saying popular music, which encompasses rock, pop, jazz, etc.
JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

Yeah I just removed it from the library mode. I do have classical but I see no reason to separate it from the other playlists and music directory
MediaMonkey fan since 2006/ Last.FM Profile / 8Tracks Profile
Peke

Post by Peke »

Main reason for Classical music is that Metadata is much different than regular music. eg. Mozart is composerand London philharmonic Orchestra is performer and is very usefull to have been able to edit that easily from Track Properties, on the other side for music you do not need that info but would rather ensure that Album Artist is correctly Set and not taht someone known as Barry composed the tune.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jmolshove

Post by jmolshove »

Random newbie interjection

I utilize the Classical category quite a bit. I am constantly collecting new music, and being a former member of symphonies and orchestras, I do enjoy listening to classical music. Sometimes, it's nice to simply select the "Classical" category and just have that type of music played for a while (especially when doing homework or I when I want to relax). I'm not a fan of making playlists, because it is just too hard to select certain songs when you have a 70gb collection. However, when I play/shuffle the entire music collection, I know that the classical music is included, so it's pretty versatile, I think.

Good day :)

Post by Guest »

Just realized this post was almost a year old, sorry :(
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Guest wrote:Just realized this post was almost a year old, sorry :(
The age of a post or thread doesn't "necessarily" matter.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

jmolshove wrote:I'm not a fan of making playlists, because it is just too hard to select certain songs when you have a 70gb collection. However, when I play/shuffle the entire music collection, I know that the classical music is included, so it's pretty versatile, I think.
You could use auto-playlists to somewhat remedy the hassle of sifting through a large collection.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜