Mediamonkey 5?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

t1gsp

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

Post by t1gsp »

Any news about the update or upcoming 5 alpha/beta builds??
Waitingtoolong

Post by Waitingtoolong »

jiri

Post by jiri »

Still working on some UI improvements/clean up, but getting closer... ;-)

Jiri
Stephen J

Post by Stephen J »

jiri wrote:Still working on some UI improvements/clean up, but getting closer... ;-)

Jiri
I am thinking of buying a Gold Licence, but only the v4 licence is available at the moment. It is not worth buying that if v5 is coming out in a couple of months, so will there be any upgrade discount from new v4 licences to v5, or should I hold off until v5 is released?
PlanetOfThe

MM5

Post by PlanetOfThe »

Any news of MM5? :D
cncb

Post by cncb »

jiri wrote:Still working on some UI improvements/clean up, but getting closer... ;-)

Jiri
Can you at least give us some details? Will it have a client/server mechanism (shared library)? Will it be a Windows Universal App so that I can run it on my Windows Phone (don't laugh)?
jiri

Post by jiri »

The very first pre-release (coming soon...) will be a Windows app only. However, due to a rewritten architecture, we are closer to a cross-platform solution and so UWA and Mac versions will hopefully follow quite soon. It won't feature a client/server approach per se, but there are several features (either in 5.0 or planned for 5.1) that will make MM5 better for many use-cases.

Jiri
MMuser2011

Post by MMuser2011 »

@jiri: A Windows App? A flat, ugly, touchscreen optimised Windows App like Office 2016 or all the other useless "Apps" in Windows 10? Please tell me, that's not true.
Magic Nodes v4.3.3 (2018-10-03) last free version SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.4.9 (2018-10-03) last free version
jiri

Post by jiri »

No, we don't plan to make it flat or ugly. ;-) I just mean, that the first out will be a good old Windows x86 application, just with a brand new look, new features and improved usability. And ready to be ported to other platforms very soon...

Jiri
MeanGeneMN

Post by MeanGeneMN »

Hello,
I am looking to get into MM for my collection, however I see that MM4 is very old and the talk of MM5 is heating up. I've dabbled with the free version of 4 and am considering purchasing a Gold license to play with the extra features, however I don't want to buy something then have the new version come out and be left behind. Is there any sort of upgrade guarantee for me if I purchase a MM4 Gold license now and 5 comes out within the next year or so?
ScottK7

Post by ScottK7 »

Maybe it shouldn't matter, maybe I should just pony up for the lifetime membership... but honestly, it's keeping me from pulling the trigger. I saw somewhere it looked like there was a one year "grace period" from 3.x to 4.x. Some commitment like that would go a long way to convincing me to commit to a gold license. :\
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes, there should be grace period this time also it was 2.x -> 3.x and 3.x -> 4.x along with Discounts on upgrade for all users that do not qualify and even possibly few more surprises.

MM5 at least first versions should fly alongside 4.x without issues until we get stable release.

More on the topic will be posted soon.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
cncb

Post by cncb »

"Soon" really means something different in MediaMonkey land...
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes.
SOON = When it is ready as we do not want to screw up things. (Excuse me for the language)

Personally:
SOON = I only wish I can share MM5 experience with you SOON
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
theta_wave

Post by theta_wave »

Peke wrote:Hi,
Yes.
SOON = When it is ready as we do not want to screw up things. (Excuse me for the language)

Personally:
SOON = I only wish I can share MM5 experience with you SOON
Yes first impressions matter even for a beta release. I hope people can understand that you don't want to turn it into a shitshow at this stage.
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin