ReplyGain anyone?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Blutarsky

ReplyGain anyone?

Post by Blutarsky »

Is anybody here using reaplyGain ? I don't like very much volume going up and down on track change, however I was wondering if there are some drawbacks when using replygain such as clipping, distorion or?
What software do you use to apply the replygain?
By album, by library?

Thanks
rovingcowboy

Re: ReplyGain anyone?

Post by rovingcowboy »

Run volume anaylizer here in mm and then use playback vol option on toolbar menu for playing.

I think you might want to get the script from the all scripts thread for auto eq preset switching, and use it that will allow you to set the volume level of the eq on the pre amp slide level of the eq for any song by setting preset for the genere and then using option in the quailty field of songs properties to type in another name of another preset. You would have to make this other one and name it, I'd make it the same preset settings as the one for the genere but just raise the vol level on it, that way you would have the sound the way you wanted it for your genere but then also you'ed have a way to raise the volume of a single song in that genere if needed.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

Actually I was thinking to run a script to update each track in the library so each one will hold a new tag (replygain) using tools (like foobar or similar)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I use Analyze Volume in MediaMonkey and use per Track on playback (as I mostly play random tracks). On sync I use the Analyze Volume values for iOS devices (Sound Check) and Level Volume for any other devices as well as level volume for DLNA clients. This has worked very well for me (always use 89dB locally and up to 95dB for some portable devices).
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

Lowlander wrote:I use Analyze Volume in MediaMonkey and use per Track on playback (as I mostly play random tracks). On sync I use the Analyze Volume values for iOS devices (Sound Check) and Level Volume for any other devices as well as level volume for DLNA clients. This has worked very well for me (always use 89dB locally and up to 95dB for some portable devices).
At home I can use anaything to play music; oustide I use my phone (earphones, portable speakers, etc). I use a popular Android player tha supports the replygain tag. That's why I would like to parse the library and apply replygain accordingly
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Replay gain is held in song properties by mm it just doesnt have field for it i think? Unless its on details tab. But i think mm is to use it, but might not on all systems for some reason. I know if i play songs in winamp that i know uses it, they are played at the replay gain vol. But i use the presets in mm because they are easier to use, in mm then in winamp. Winamp is easier to use replay gain as it just does it with out seting up anything ,mm is to do that also but the eq presets just give extra way to adjust the sound for the songs because they adjust the eq freq's aswell as the vol level.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Oh android is being made now and mm is to work same on it as it does on desktop so just hang on till android mm is released, theres a bunch of us waiting for it too. 8)
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

foobar2000 ReplayGain scanner
Format:
MP3: Values written to ID3v2 (default) or APEv2 tags. A separate function can be invoked to apply the tagged Track or Album Gain to the MP3 global gain fields (as MP3Gain does, but requiring tags first), and to rewrite the tags to account for the peak change and compensate for the difference from 89 dB. The 89 dB reference level for tags isn't configurable, but the reference level applied to the global gain fields is (it's under Preferences > Advanced > Tools > ReplayGain Scanner > Target MP3 alteration volume level).
Musepack: Values written to header.
(Ogg) Vorbis: Values written to Vorbis comment.
WavPack: Values written to APEv2 tags.
AAC: Values written to APEv2 tags.
MP4: Uses its own iTunes-compatible tagging system (though iTunes does not support ReplayGain).
FLAC: Values written to Vorbis comment.
APE: Values written to APEv2 tags.
Modules (MOD etc.): Optionally saved into APEv2 tags.
This way any compatible player will output volume accordingly
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't know the technical details behind ReplayGain (thus don't know what MediaMonkey uses in Analyze Volume). However you can't save tags in MediaMonkey that aren't supported by MediaMonkey. So if MediaMonkey's Analyze Volume doesn't do what you need you can use any other program to perform it. As long as it is saved in the tags I presume that on sync from MediaMonkey to device that these tags will still be in the device and can be used by the device.

What MediaMonkey writes with Analyze Volume: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

To clarify, my original question was about replygain, mediamonkey or not. Was wondering if people over this community is using it succesfully
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Well only way i got to put it in my songs as far as i know is to add it in by playing in winamp or editing songs in audacity which i do both of, just what is making the sound louder on my songs is not really known other then the eq presets, because i've not played all songs in winamp and i've not edited all songs in audacity, so some have it in some dont, which are ones with it i cant tell all seem to sound loud with or wothout using mm's playback vol option. 8)
Aff

Post by Aff »

MM Analyze Volume is the same as ReplayGain. You don't need any additional tool.

An example of MP3 tags written by MM:
TXXX="replaygain_album_gain 2.20 dB"
TXXX="replaygain_track_gain 2.20 dB"
TXXX="replaygain_track_peak 0.992767"

If everything is properly set and analysed, there are no drawbacks.
To avoid clipping and the resulting distortion, make sure you activate clipping prevention in the options and let all three volumes at 89 dB.

If you've got any MP3 from Amazon, you have to manually re-analyse it (that's a known MM issue but not seen as a bug).
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

MM Analyze Volume is the same as ReplayGain. You don't need any additional tool.
As I've said, using semi-standard tags will allow replaygain usage across multiple players

Wikipedia
Aff

Post by Aff »

As shown above, MM writes these tags.
Do you expect different tags or have you experienced any problems with it?
Blutarsky

Post by Blutarsky »

I was wondering who many people are using replaygain, and if there are well known problems enabling it