Made the Migration to MM4

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

sirandar

Made the Migration to MM4

Post by sirandar »

After trying MM4 a few times and reverting back to MM3, I can now give my full endorsement of MM4. The MM devs come though again.

After a moderately painful migration process I can say I gained a lot and lost nothing, so I happily bought gold (again).

You may wonder why I didn't buy lifetime ...... lifetime is a bad idea both for devs and end users ..... If the devs of MM come up with significant improvements I want to pay them.

It is no longer buggy and the tabs and collections are quite useful and flexible.

The bug with high rez mice not scrolling is fixed.

The built in "cover flow" art browser is pretty rudimentary compared to Monkeyflow 1.3 and looks terrible. My Hi rez mouse works very poorly with it also. You should consider fixing or ditching this feature. (Improved in the latest build... I can now resize the album browser

The only troubles I had were:

The first pain was removing MM3 and losing my settings, but previously I tried a direct upgrade and it didn't go well and I ended up having to do a system restore to get MM3 back. The fresh instal of MM4 went perfectly though.

The second pain was hacking Dreads MM4 Vision skin to get it the way I had it in MM3. Skinning seems to be an incredibly painful process as there is no way to see what your changes are as you do them. Looks great though and can't see why people complain about MM's looks. The skins that came with MM4 look good but they are way too bright and the track title is way too small and hard to read. The dark Vitreous skin is quite good but the track title is too hard to read and it is a little busy.
Last edited by sirandar on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peace through music
sirandar

Re: Made the Migration to MM4

Post by sirandar »

Tried my hand at skinning and it seems like a very painful and not well documented process.

Many fields such as size don't seem to do anything.
Putting more than one object on one horizontal line causes the one on the right to disappear
Changing the font size in the song title player sometimes causes the library status bar to resize (or just opening with the skin editor and saving a skin)
Must use replace function when editing a bitmap in the skin editor, deleting and adding back makes the bitmaip not visible in the final skin........
Peace through music