Porting MM4 scripts

To discuss development of addons / skins / customization of MediaMonkey.

Moderator: jiri

Re: Porting MM4 scripts

Postby crap_inhuman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:02 pm

I think, earning money with the Addons isn't the right way. If i start collecting money, the users demand a update, bug-fix or whatever. "Hey, i payed x € for the addon and it doesn't work, do something". For a few Euro i will get a lot of stress. No, i wouldn't go this way.
This is my opinion.
Metal up your ass !
-----------------------------------------------
I added my first 2 videos on youtube. The language is german.

Discogs Autorisierung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oryxKKtnEnc
Discogs Tagger Bedienung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Wk-5rd-W0
crap_inhuman

Postby trixmoto » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:59 pm

To be honest, you get hounded even when they're free! At least you can tell them they get what they've paid for though :)
Download my scripts at trixmoto.net.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Send me BTC: 34VQPVsf9mCeR4nfhFvvBYZqQ7LkqNZ8Mn
Send me LTC: 3P1mzrfbyscdhbxRpXLgKz7tufGAU3SrEG
Send me DOGE: 9xPpYSqgF7P5yQiqvE1VqWb4UjxVCCLFJ6
Check out these great cryptocurrency faucets... BTC / LTC / DOGE
trixmoto

Postby crap_inhuman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:39 pm

trixmoto wrote:To be honest, you get hounded even when they're free! At least you can tell them they get what they've paid for though :)

That's probably true. :D
Metal up your ass !
-----------------------------------------------
I added my first 2 videos on youtube. The language is german.

Discogs Autorisierung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oryxKKtnEnc
Discogs Tagger Bedienung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Wk-5rd-W0
crap_inhuman

Postby Teknojnky » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:08 am

just my 2c on the break from vbs;

I know it would suck for me too, but I am glad of the clean break into a more modern and extensible architecture.

I had many hours into just the few scripts I worked on, and if I had the time and energy, I would not so much try to a direct port, but instead use my knowledge and experience of the old, to do a clean sheet re-implementation to try to maximize the new format/capabilities.

I know that I don't currently have such time or motivation, and no doubt many other scripters who have contributed their work to the forums over the last several years will not either.

I do believe though, that with the move to JS/etc, there will be many new scripters that can move forward and implement/re-implement any highly desired/popular scripts/addons into the new format.

I do not begrudge anyone attempting to make a little money back on their time investment, for either MM addons or in a totally different but similar case developing addons for readynas (and other NAS brands).

But I can only speak for myself, I started scripting for MM mainly for my own personal uses and interest in learning new things, and especially for the love all things MediaMonkey.

I absolutely think that the chrome web store could be a good solution for those who wish to pursue a return on their efforts, however I also think that a core tenant to MM has been an open architecture so that no developers should be able to create a monopoly on a script/featureset.

In summary, if you do it (addon development); do it for the love of doing it. Anything extra that becomes of it, is a bonus.
Teknojnky

Postby MMuser2011 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:53 am

Maybe you want to know the use case from an average user with a huge collection?

I use MM4 because of this specific scripts:
a) Magic Nodes
b) Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix
c) RegExp Find & Replace
and
d) iTunesMonkey

Most of the other things that MM offers, I can find elsewhere or I don't need it (like all the synchronisation stuff with 3rd party devices).
You can find faster database import/update tools out there (with MM4 I have to wait nearly 1 hour every time I try to update my complete music collection), more beautiful GUI's (even browser based, without any installation on clients), multi-user capable applications with personal ratings, playlists, skins and last but not least much better track recognition and tag tools.

If script Gurus like 'ZvezdanD' or 'trixmoto' leave the boat, I don't believe MM5 with his actual known feature set can fullfill the high expectations.

There are things that MM4 still doesn't support (Example: Support for ALL id3v2.3 and 2.4 tags - not only a random 'most used' selection).
If you really care about what your paying users need, I would directly ask them. A survey about which features they miss, which existing scripts are crucial, which open issues should be solved first could help you to control your To-Do-List.

I tried to maintain the script "iTunesMonkey + Acoustid" (written by CarlitoGil) with my limited coding skills. Unfortunately, I'm not able to convert/translate/port it to your new environment.
Magic Nodes v4.2 (2011-07-01) SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.3 (2011-07-06)
MMuser2011

Postby jiri » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks for feedback! I understand that you miss some old scripts in MM5, but don't forget that this is the very start of MM5 in public, there wasn't time for it to recruit any new scripters yet. And I hope that at least some MM4 scripters will appreciate the advantages of the new MM5 API and will continue in script development. Also, some more features are planned before MM5 is released, so I suppose that there'll be less need for some scripts. In any case, we'll do our best to help developers to create new scripts and all users to find replacement for anything missing from MM4.

Btw, which features of Magic Nodes are the most important for you?

Thanks,
Jiri
jiri

Postby MMuser2011 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:09 am

jiri wrote:Btw, which features of Magic Nodes are the most important for you?
Most important is the 'Duplicate' Node with all its possibilities. Then the Album and Artist-Nodes, then the different Cover Nodes and finally the Multi-Item Node.

And of course the basic functionality in Magic Nodes to create or edit your own Nodes with your own SQL-query for more specific search needs. (The bigger your collections is, the more you need very fast and accurate results).
Magic Nodes v4.2 (2011-07-01) SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.3 (2011-07-06)
MMuser2011

Postby jiri » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:44 am

Anyone interested in porting MM4 scripts to MM5, please check out our new VBS->JS addon at http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=86756.

Thanks!
Jiri
jiri

Previous

Return to MediaMonkey 5 developer forum