shuffle tracks not working

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

devnullak

shuffle tracks not working

Post by devnullak »

Last update to android version broke shuffle when playing by tracks. The program simply repeats whatever track is selected.

Moto g 5 plus, android 7.0 jan 1 18 patch level. media monkey pro 1.3.1.0751
Lowlander

Re: shuffle tracks not working

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure Repeat isn't enable (on Now Playing screen tap Artwork to reveal Shuffle and Repeat buttons)?
devnullak

Post by devnullak »

That was the issue. The UI design for controlling this badly needs to be improved. I have always used the Play icon at the top of the screen to start playing when Tracks is selected. That icon shows the shuffle icon on top of it which I would assume means shuffle is active.

When you do as you indicated in the artwork screen which is NOT at all intuitive, to bring up the controls, both the shuffle and repeat icons showed the same color meaning they were both active. That makes no sense but obviously repeat overrides shuffle. Turning off Repeat on that screen made no change to the appearance of the play button with the shuffle on it in the Tracks screen.

These commands need to be more readily and obviously accessible from menus.

Thank you for your help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, it's a Randomize button, adding files Randomized to the Now Playing. Shuffle is independent of that.

If you set Repeat to Single Repeat it overrides Shuffle, if it is set to Repeat All or is off than Shuffle is working if enabled. However as you added files in randomized form you don't need Shuffle to be enabled (but there is nothing wrong with leaving it enabled and it's useful if you play the list multiple times).
devnullak

Post by devnullak »

I don't use playlists. I expect the program to shuffle the library. I did a test shutting off shuffle from the artwork screen but the play icon button at the top of the tracks screen did not change, shuffle was still showing on the icon.

Shuffle and repeat are such basic functions the settings should be better available. Going on a treasure hunt to find the settings on the artwork screen is not good. I have never used the artwork screen before and I have been using media monkey for years. Why can't these settings be available in one of the pop up menus also instead of just toggling icons?

I'm also curious why there is no download transfer status indicator when you download music from a dlna server. Other than the android system download arrow at the top of the screen, there is nothing to show what is going on. Kind of annoying when you have selected several albums worth of music.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

devnullak wrote:I did a test shutting off shuffle from the artwork screen but the play icon button at the top of the tracks screen did not change, shuffle was still showing on the icon.
As said, that is not a Shuffle button, it's a Random Play button and works independent of Shuffle.
devnullak

Post by devnullak »

According to the android documentation the top icon is called quick shuffle. It acts on shuffling the currently active view. If you select Tracks, that would be shuffling the entire library.

The "artwork" view documentation describes Shuffle as a more global setting.

Both Shuffles randomize just acting slightly differently based on where you are at in the program.

In either situation, the Repeat icon in the "artwork" view, if enabled, overrides either Shuffle with no other indication.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Of course, Repeat 1 does what it says. It keeps repeating the same file and as you're playing a single file on repeat, Shuffle isn't applicable. If changed to Repeat All Shuffle will work as you're playing more than 1 file.

And as said before the button you refer to isn't the Shuffle button, it just adds the shown list in random fashion to the Now Playing. Shuffle and Repeat in the Player work completely independent of this.