Volume levelling query

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Derek S

Volume levelling query

Post by Derek S »

Hi all,
I have been a user of MMW gold for a good few years and have my music on an external drive with MMW running on the PC along with the associated MM database.
All my tracks have been ripped to flac using EAC and all tagged with volume levels etc.

I have been considering moving to a stand alone playing system for a while and this issue was forced recently when my PC motherboard blew up. It's an old PC and this has spurred some serious thinking given that rushing out and buying a new PC (rather than perhaps a NAS server connected to a player using TV for navigation etc.) might not be a lasting solution.

Whilst I consider my options, I downloaded MMA on to my Android TV box which is connected to the TV and the same sound system that I use for MMW. I then plugged my external music drive used for MMW into it and scanned the files into the MMA database.

All works great after a little poking about with the different interface, however, although volume levelling is ticked in the setup secton, its not working. A quick read of the MMA wicki does confirm that because MMA is running standalone and cannot see the MMW database, track volume info is not available.

So, finally to the question. I have always synced the tags after analysing the volume on all the tracks in MMW thus surely should be available for MMA to read from the tags rather than relying on the MMW database.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Derek
Lowlander

Re: Volume levelling query

Post by Lowlander »

MMA relies on MMW to have many tags synced when syncing files to an Android device. If you're not using MMW > MMA sync you're relying on the Android Media Scanner (for now) which fails to pick up many tags.

If you bypass MMW > MMA sync you'll need to level volume in the tracks (instead of analyze), however this isn't available for FLAC (as it is lossless).
Derek S

Post by Derek S »

Lowlander wrote:MMA relies on MMW to have many tags synced when syncing files to an Android device. If you're not using MMW > MMA sync you're relying on the Android Media Scanner (for now) which fails to pick up many tags.

If you bypass MMW > MMA sync you'll need to level volume in the tracks (instead of analyze), however this isn't available for FLAC (as it is lossless).
Hi, thanks.
If my understanding is correct, levelling the tracks is a permanent change to the levels which is not something I would wish to do even if I were able to.

At least I now understand the limitation now. My confusion was caused by the 'level volume' under settings with the description ' Adjusts playback volume level for tracks with volume information' which appeared to indicate that if it was in the tag, it could be read.

Looks like i'll have to be a bit nifty with the volume control until I find a permanent solution!

Thanks,
Derek.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Derek S wrote:If my understanding is correct, levelling the tracks is a permanent change to the levels which is not something I would wish to do even if I were able to.
Yes, this would be fine if you only do it on the synced files and not on the originals.
Derek S wrote:At least I now understand the limitation now. My confusion was caused by the 'level volume' under settings with the description ' Adjusts playback volume level for tracks with volume information' which appeared to indicate that if it was in the tag, it could be read.
Unfortunately MMA currently relies on Android for tag scanning. This should change in the future, which then likely solves this problem for you.