multiple genre mp3 files

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

adrianvm

multiple genre mp3 files

Post by adrianvm »

I am have a collection of mp3 files that are tagged with multiple genres using ID3v2.4. I had heard that MediaMonkey could handle multiple genres, but when I view my collection, it appears to be ignoring all but the first genre listed for each track.

Can MediaMonkey handle multiple genres? Is there a setting or configuration option I might need to use?
Peke

Re: multiple genre mp3 files

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I just checked and each track is correctly listed under all genres entered eg. POP; ROCK; ALTERNATIVE

See if track is listed under other genres.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
adrianvm

Post by adrianvm »

I have items multi-tagged as "Folk", "Instrumental" and "Fiddle" and only the "Folk" genre shows up on the list. The "Fiddle" genre, for example, does not appear at all. It is never the first genre listed, so this is consistent with MediaMonkey only using the first genre listed.

Note this is id3v2.4 where the fields are all free and they are null terminated. Switching to id3v2.3 appears to be problematic because the standard apparently doesn't allow multiple genres in a clear way, which creates problems for my media server (MinimServer) which is a stickler for following the standards.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you sync them with MMW or copy otherwise to your device. Any other method relies on Android Media Scanner which may not pick up the tag correctly. MMA has no issue with multi-value fields synced by MMW.
adrianvm

Post by adrianvm »

I did not sync them using MediaMonkey. (Not sure what MMW mean? Media Monkey Windows?)

The audio files are on a NAS and I am copying them to an sdcard on my android device automatically using the SyncMe application. (If any changes occur on the NAS then SyncMe duplicates them on the android device.)

Is there something I can do to get MediaMonkey to scan the files rather than using the Android Media Scanner?
Peke

Post by Peke »

To have multiple artist entered correctly files needs to be synced with MMW -> MMA.

It is limitation of native media scanner :( We plan to create our own scanned for future versions of MMA but for now only MMW -> MMA sync ensure that correct metadata is parsed.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
adrianvm

Post by adrianvm »

I don't have any Windows machines, so this is obviously not going to work for me. Is the feature of native android scanning expected soon?