Library location

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows 8/RT

Moderator: Gurus

EricB

Library location

Post by EricB »

Where does MM8 store it's library? Is there a way to have it use the same library (directory) as MM 4.0.7.1511?

Thanks,

Eric
PetrCBR

Re: Library location

Post by PetrCBR »

MediaMonkey for desktop uses different database than MediaMonkey for metro and there's no way how to use same database.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
EricB

Post by EricB »

I realized I asked the question incorrectly.

What I was really wanting to know is... can I "scan folders" in MM8 using the same folders I use with MM 4.x and have the music files remain where they are without having 2 copies of the files in different locations?

Thanks,

Eric
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

PetrCBR wrote:MediaMonkey for desktop uses different database than MediaMonkey for metro and there's no way how to use same database.
Not really meaning to sidetrack this thread but since we are all going to HAVE-TO use windows 8 (and in some sense metro :( ) i am wondering why they can't use the same DB?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

It's complicated, but:
- metro app is running in special mode (sandbox) and cannot access filesystem as it's known from desktop
- without user interaction application can work in his folders and in system libraries only (with limited access)
- database from desktop version is designed for usage in different environment (removable devices, network discs etc.) but MM8 is designed for portable devices (tablets)

MediaMonkey for metro should be addition to desktop version, not a replacement.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I *knew* it was that. We got in some new laptops with win8 on them and has similar problems (access/rights issues) with other programs that we rely on day in and day out for our business. We simply ended up taking them back to the distributor saying 'not thanks'. We found machines we could 'down grade' (read make right) to windows 7 and that worked much better. Microsoft made a BIG mistake putting metro on a 'computer'. welll off soap box
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

I agree metro should be for tablets (touch device) only (it doesn't make sense to me have it on desktop).
gcoupe

Post by gcoupe »

EricB wrote:I realized I asked the question incorrectly.

What I was really wanting to know is... can I "scan folders" in MM8 using the same folders I use with MM 4.x and have the music files remain where they are without having 2 copies of the files in different locations?
The answer is yes.
EricB

Post by EricB »

Thanks.

Will MM8 act as a UPnP server? I ask because since installing windows 8 on my machine, I can't get my tablet to see MM 4.x as a UPnP server.

Eric
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

EricB wrote:I ask because since installing windows 8 on my machine, I can't get my tablet to see MM 4.x as a UPnP server.

Eric
Ask for help in the Upnp thread.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Already asked: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 20&t=70843

And if MMW can't MM8 won't likely either (doubt it has an UPnP server though).
wormywyrm

Post by wormywyrm »

dtsig wrote:I *knew* it was that. We got in some new laptops with win8 on them and has similar problems (access/rights issues) with other programs that we rely on day in and day out for our business. We simply ended up taking them back to the distributor saying 'not thanks'. We found machines we could 'down grade' (read make right) to windows 7 and that worked much better. Microsoft made a BIG mistake putting metro on a 'computer'. welll off soap box
Compartmentalizing programs into 'sandboxes' is a necessary evil to create a more stable and secure OS. It should have been done way sooner.
MM to Grooveshark Playlist Sync w/ MonkeyShark.
http://lysle.net/projects/monkeyshark.php
jbennion

Post by jbennion »

Can it connect to a DNLA server? If so, then couldn't you use the media monkey desktop version as a DLNA server and connect to its database that way?

Also, I believe Windows 8.1 UPDATE (the UPDATE to Windows 8.1) is supposed to make this a little bit easier, communicating with other areas of the OS/file system.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MM8 is a DLNA client and it can connect to DLNA servers like MMW, the benefit of a setup like that is the nicer graphical frontend of MM8, but the more powerful tagging, AutoPlaylists features of MMW as well as maintaining Play History in a single location (MMW database).