MMA 1.2.0.0621 crashing after external access on music files

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Flint4

MMA 1.2.0.0621 crashing after external access on music files

Post by Flint4 »

Dear readers

I have found a situation where MMA isn't able to start up at all. To get the app back working I have to delete the MMA app data. Rebooting and cache deletion has no effect. Before I upgraded my phone from Android 6 to Android 7, a reboot was sufficient to get the app running again.

I believe it could be connected to another app, Gentle Alarm (com.mobitobi.android.gentlealarm), which is an alarm clock app able to play music files listed on playlists as alarm tones. The music files and playlists are the same like synced to my phone with MMA via WiFi. After Gentle Alarm has played some tracks / alarms, MMA isn't able to start-up anymore. Personally speaking, I can't get a good reason why MMA isn't able to deal with a third party app accessing playlists and audio files.

I don't know if Gentle Alarm is locking files on my device, I have no idea how to check that. But if Gentle Alarm is locking something even after finishing playing alarms, then I could understand that a MMA sync operation would fail. But why is the app not starting up anymore at all? Does it need write access right from the beginning? By the way, quitting Gentle Alarm via the app settings doesn't help to get MMA back running. I've also tried to freeze Gentle Alarm via Titanium Backup, also with no effect on MMA start up. As I said, to get it back running deletion of all MMA files is required.

I've sent a debug log some time ago still under Android 6: UV7R8LPDAY
Under Android 7, I am not able to create a debug log without deleting the app data before: VRTRY7UC27

I've also noticed that it happens only after a sync via WiFi / MMW. After deletion of the app data, MMA starts and scans the folders. After that, I am able to use Gentle Alarm and MMA without any bigger problems.

MMA 1.2.0.0621, Pro registered
Smartphone: LG G5 (Model H850), Android 7.0, rooted.

Any ideas? Any suggestions on how to find the root cause of this issue?
Best wishes,

Alex
Lowlander

Re: MMA 1.2.0.0621 crashing after external access on music f

Post by Lowlander »

I have no problems with the same setup using Alarm Clock Xtreme.
Flint4

Re: MMA 1.2.0.0621 crashing after external access on music f

Post by Flint4 »

Hey,

I'm sorry for the very late reply.
Lowlander wrote:I have no problems with the same setup using Alarm Clock Xtreme.
Thank you Lowlander, I've replaced my Alarm app to yours which is really nice. But in the end it did not help.

I was able to trace the crash via adb logcat and find the cause. On app start MMA dropped errors about inaccessibility of mmstore.db-wal in /data/data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkey/databases. I've noticed that this file had a length of zero bytes. It looked destroyed to me so I started to search for an external app that accesses the DB files of MMA. I've found that my cleaner app "SD Maid" (eu.thedarken.sdm) was set to optimize databases on my phone every night. I've tested it with MMA and found that SDM failed to optimize the MMA DB (with error) and destroyed mmstore.db-wal at the same time (file length went to zero at the moment of optimisation). However, I've deactivated this function of SDMaid and MMA runs now stable. Case solved.
Best wishes,

Alex