Sync to mmA bringing 10,000 files, not 300!!

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Jim Kelly

Sync to mmA bringing 10,000 files, not 300!!

Post by Jim Kelly »

Sync to mmA is bringing down far too many files (and thus filling my card)!

And yes, I uninstalled MMA, then rebooted, deleted any sign of MediaMonkey, Playlists, Music files from both the phone and the card; reinstalled, setup just one deeply nested (auto) playlist - SAME result.

The nested auto-playlist in MMW shows just over 300 tracks but when I select just it from MMA (via Options . . . Playlists . . .) it begins to download over 10,000 files!!

The blobs appear correctly as I back out of the deep nest of available playlists in MMA. BUT "Sync now" causes way too many files to download.

Have just "Sent logs": 9SYEZ1JYSU "Sync to mmA bringing 10,000 files, not 300!!"

[Had also "Sent logs": DCXVXDIMER "MMA ignores unticked auto-playlists, and downloads them regardless!" some weeks back but got no reply . .
That title may be misleading, I have not spent much time trying to work out what wrong files are coming down. But I have removed all files and slowly reproduced the problem with just one auto-playlist as described above where I also reinstalled the latest MMA. So FORGET that I mentioned ignoring unticked auto-playlists. It simply downloads a vastly bigger number of files than that implicated by the MMW status for the same playlists!!]

How can I help you to identify and fix this problem?
Thanks,

Jim Kelly Australia

SYSTEM were the latest offered at the time. Now they are as follows:
MMW Lifetime Gold v4.1.13.1801, on w8.1 Pro 64 with current patches
MMA Pro v1.2.0.0608/1.1.0008(Pro), on Samsung phone: "NOTE-4" SM-N910G, 5.7" 1440x2560, v5.1.1 "Lollipop"
. . . using 'External' Samsung EVO mSDXC 128GB Card
--
Jim Kelly
MMW Lifetime Gold v5.0.4.2692 Portable install with 25,000 MUSIC tracks on a 2TB (Samsung T7) Portable SSD.
Microsoft Surface Book-2, 15" 3240x2160 Notebook Computer, 16gb, 1TB SSD.
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit , Version: 22H2, OS build: 19045.3448 with current patches.
Used as above about 50% of time, and the balance attached to a Microsoft Dock to:
LAN, 3.5mm audio-out, other storage, and two extra displays via Display-ports:
30" 2560x1600 and 24" 1920x1200 (in portrait orientation), MM5 is extended across these two displays.
Also use MMRemote to provide rating edits, volume, mute, next, prev, etc whilst mobile, via WiFi.
Lowlander

Re: Sync to mmA bringing 10,000 files, not 300!!

Post by Lowlander »

Nselecting a nested Playlist also syncs all its parent Playlists.
Jim Kelly

Post by Jim Kelly »

Thanks Lowlander - much appreciated.
Your advice provided a useful, though messy, workaround.

By knowing that every parent gets it's tracks downloaded (wanted or not) I was able to change the nest structure to still be useful at both MMA and MMW.
This required having about ten playlists at root level (calling on other playlists at root level which seems really weird - but works - thanks Martin), instead of just one tidy root entry for 'Playlists designed for syncing AND for use with MMW'.

So, it is indeed possible to have a deep and complex nested structure as long as you realise that the 'blobs' in the MMA sync options dialog do not imply that those playlists are not populated. DEV: Some balloon tips regarding this would save a lot of heartache!

MMA is smart enough to not try to download twice, EG: If one branch is for '4 & 5 star tracks', then another for '5 star only' will not take any more space. But if there was a third playlist at that level for '3 & 4 & 5 star tracks' - even though unticked in MMA sync options - the 3 star tracks get downloaded regardless!! . . . . Stupidly, they probably are not accessible due to being 'unwanted', even though they are taking up device storage space!

Hope this helps any others out there trying to get an elegant MMA nested playlist structure to work.

Regards,
Jim Kelly, Australia
--
Jim Kelly
MMW Lifetime Gold v5.0.4.2692 Portable install with 25,000 MUSIC tracks on a 2TB (Samsung T7) Portable SSD.
Microsoft Surface Book-2, 15" 3240x2160 Notebook Computer, 16gb, 1TB SSD.
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit , Version: 22H2, OS build: 19045.3448 with current patches.
Used as above about 50% of time, and the balance attached to a Microsoft Dock to:
LAN, 3.5mm audio-out, other storage, and two extra displays via Display-ports:
30" 2560x1600 and 24" 1920x1200 (in portrait orientation), MM5 is extended across these two displays.
Also use MMRemote to provide rating edits, volume, mute, next, prev, etc whilst mobile, via WiFi.
cyd

Post by cyd »

Hi Jim,

I have reported the same issue already in January (See http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=83580).
Before version 4.1.10.1778 the sync worked like you and I would expect.. only the selected playlists were transferred without syncing all songs of the parent playlist.

Since version 4.1.10.1778 even the not selected songs of the parent playlist are synced. For me this sounds like a bug and should be fixed.
If I open a nested playlist in MMW then I get only the 300 songs and not 10000. So why tries MMW to sync 10000 to MMA instead of only 300?
I'm confused by this logic.

To ease the concept for the users please
a) sync only the songs of the selected playlist without the parents songs
b) alternatively display an warning message if the user selects a child playlist in the synchronization dialog and select the parent playlist by default. So the users can understand what happens here.