Sync broken since the great beta change ... [#13263]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

dtsig

Sync broken since the great beta change ... [#13263]

Post by dtsig »

Well you have finally brought me to my knees and i am just a user now <sigh>
I followed the instructions on the update page but now mma simply says everything is in sync and there is nothing on the phone. as I don't see others posting I can only assume this is stupid user syndrome and I will try to figure it out.

I'm really glad I got our yard mowed before all tracks disappeared ...
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Re: Sync broken since the great beta change ...

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried both restarting MMW and your device? I needed to restart MMW before it would allow me to sync.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Thanks for the quick reply .. i hadn't tried that but have now and same results ..
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I think i found the problem .. at least for a wired connection ... for some reason it created a new device name (*&^*^&%^% I have updated with a play list and now it is sync .. when complete we will see how wireless works.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

I cleared all of MMA's data including the /MediaMonkey folder first in case something like this happened. When I started WiFi sync from my phone on the new beta MMW saw the phone as a completely new device instead of recognising it and using the existing profile, but it did at least sync successfully. Same for the other phones in my family, but when I did the same with my tablet MMW recognised it correctly.

At least the beta switch is only a one time occurrence.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That was warned for in the release notes. However it didn't happen for me on the one device I've done this update for so far.
mcow

Post by mcow »

FWIW, I performed a sync after installing MediaMonkey but before upgrading to the test-beta. I had to re-establish some settings on the tablet, but then the sync performed just as the earlier, beta version had (which is to say, made a bunch of unnecessary re-conversions of already-converted FLACs).

Then I updated to the beta, sync'd again, and there were no issues. (Except re-conversion of another album.)
rklevy

Post by rklevy »

I had to uninstall MMA 1.2....it broke my library so I decided to format my SD and start again. When I resync-ed it would, in fact, add the new files but would not play the files. Also, none of the artwork came across. Additionally, upon resync using 1.2 it tried to install all of the same files again, eventually eating up all of the SD card storage! 1.2 apparently did not recognize that the files were already on the SD card. This happened whether I synced by USB or Wirelessly. I have gone back to MMA 1.1 (556). It looks like my files are playing again although I may have to resync again to get the library cleaned up again.
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

First of all, please update to build 589. There are many fixes of storage management on devices with SD cards and lollipop+.

It is true that on many devices (devices with SD cards and Kitkat+), the move to non-beta app will create a new clean profile for SD card. This is simply caused by Android restrictions. 'MMA beta' and 'MMA' are two different apps and we cannot move the configuration files. MMA is able to move the settings on some (not all) Lollipop devices.

Could you please send me the log after failed sync ? Please sync small amount of tracks, otherwise the log will be too long to send.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Lowlander wrote:That was warned for in the release notes. However it didn't happen for me on the one device I've done this update for so far.
You are right .. upon rereading the notes i see this.
Signed up for beta and all is working well.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
rklevy

Post by rklevy »

bhiefer wrote:First of all, please update to build 589. There are many fixes of storage management on devices with SD cards and lollipop+.

It is true that on many devices (devices with SD cards and Kitkat+), the move to non-beta app will create a new clean profile for SD card. This is simply caused by Android restrictions. 'MMA beta' and 'MMA' are two different apps and we cannot move the configuration files. MMA is able to move the settings on some (not all) Lollipop devices.

Could you please send me the log after failed sync ? Please sync small amount of tracks, otherwise the log will be too long to send.

I am aware that MMA beta and the beta MMA are two different applications....I spent two days trying to sync my device properly and I'm not inclined to reload 1.2 again at this time. I don't have time right now to keep syncing back and forth so I've removed myself from the "beta test" group. BTW, I'm not using KitKat or Lollipop...I'm using Marshmallow now. I've had no problem using 1.1 (build 556) with Marshmallow. Also, the sync occurred without an error...the tracks just would not play (even though they showed up on the device and in playlists) and in every case, the system tried to reload the same files (entire library) all over again upon subsequent sync's (USB or Wireless). Hope this helps ...perhaps, I'll rejoin the test group again when i have more time to play with with the system.

Hmmm...just read that I should have updated MMW to 4.1.12...I was using 4.1.11...would this be the cause of these problems?
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

There are many fixes for storing files in Marshmallow that are included in build 589. I understand that it is hard to switch the app :(. But I need the log to fix it (if the bug is still there) because I cannot reproduce it. There really were issues in build 588. After I receive the log, I will fix it as soon as possible. But it has to be a small amount of tracks.

Update of MMW unfortunately cannot fix it.
rklevy

Post by rklevy »

Ok..I had a few minutes to re-load 1.2 and also used MMW 4.1.12....Upon first sync, the entire library sync'd over (sorry for the large number of tracks coming across...I know you were only looking for a few but the system did that...I only added 4 files for resyncing)...not unusual when a new version is installed I guess...on 2nd and 3rd re-sync using USB, about 22 (27?) files sync'd and then re-synced even though they were supposedly already in the MMA library. Then I synced using wifi...on the 4th sync (wifi), the files that were re-syncing under the 2nd and 3rd re-sync's (USB) finally transferred over and the 5th sync (wifi) showed everything was in sync.

This is somewhat different from what I observed previously (see earlier post) where the entire (>980 tracks) library would continually resync but there is still some problem between USB/wifi syncing where USB tries repeatedly to sync the same files over and over but doesn't seem to succeed.

I've sent the log files to the help desk...Ticket #GKL-972-60134
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

@reklevy

Based on the MMW logs from GKL-972-60134 it looks that it is issue for duplicate songs in your library,
two duplicate songs in MMW library was previously both on sync-list which resulted in target paths:
../The Jellicle Ball.mp3
../The Jellicle Ball_1.mp3
as expected (because target path is same for both the duplicates).

One of them is no longer on sync-list, but WiFi sync considers the "../The Jellicle Ball.mp3" on sync-list (removing the other) while USB sync considers the "../The Jellicle Ball_1.mp3" on the sync-list (removing the other). I fixed this as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13263