Chromecast Support? [#11830]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Drosophila

Re: Chromecast Support? [#11830]

Post by Drosophila »

I am using Chromecast Audio and MM android app, and playback works really well when streaming local media from my NAS to my stereo (have not compared the quality yet, but will do that), but it stops when the phone rings, some other apps stream audio from media on the phone (videos e.g), plus my phone is using way more than idle power when the app is running in the background (as compared to normal idle). Not really what I was expecting to be honest from casting the media to the Chromecast. I thought the point was to avoid that and not just avoid the wire... :/ will this be addressed in a future update, or has this not been the purpose of integrating casting to the Chromecast? Or is the phone actually streaming (not allocating the casting task to the Chromecast) the music to the chromecast actively all the time, which causes these problems?
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Yes, the phone is streaming the music to the Chromecast device. This is not a bug: it can't be any other way since the music being streamed is stored on your phone; so the phone has to be the one to stream it to the Chromecast device.

This differs from, say, Pandora, where the Chromecast device receives the music stream from the Pandora servers directly. So in that case, the phone only has to be involved with controlling the stream (play, pause, volume). But in the case of MMA, the phone has to do it all.
Drosophila

Post by Drosophila »

Well, as I wrote, I have all my music stored on my NAS which is connected to my local network, so that was my point. So the music is on a "server", just my local "server"...

But if this really is the case, then I guess I will just have to see if I can find another app to do this as this is pretty much a fail-point for me.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Chromecast doesn't support DLNA and your NAS likely doesn't support Chromecast. As the Chromecast doesn't support DLNA MMA is doing the translation between DLNA from the NAS to whatever Chromecast uses for streaming.

If you had a DLNA client then MMA could function as control point and not do the actual streaming between server and client.
Drosophila

Post by Drosophila »

My NAS (a WD My Cloud) has DLNA functionality (a build-in DLNA server), and I have since found out that rendering music files on the Chromecast Audio works for BubbleUPnP android. So I am unsure why it does not seem to work with MMA (if you say it should work Lowlander....).
iloveaiff

Post by iloveaiff »

Wow, I just discovered care of this thread that Chromecast appears in BubblePNP as a renderer, yay!

Any idea how I can now stream Internet radio straight through? I love high quality (256+ kbit/s) streams and would love to stream these to the Chromecast which goes through the home theatre....

Thanks!
rusty

Post by rusty »

I'm not sure if this is the same error that you saw but when I cast via a UPnP source to a chromecast, I see the following error:
"Skipped <TITLE>. It is unsupported by the receiver."

Tracked at: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14032

Thanks.

-Rusty
rusty

Post by rusty »

fyi, I'm no longer able to replicate this with MMW 4.1.15.1830 vs MMA 1.3.0.677. So either it was fixed via some other changes OR there's something that I'm missing as far as steps to replicate.

If anyone does observe this issue, please generate logs both from MMA and MMW when it happens, and share them with us.

Thanks!

-Rusty
Erickem

Post by Erickem »

I'll try reporting it to the Chromecast folks.
Codec

Post by Codec »

I look forward to streaming to my chromecast audio devices soon using MMW Gold. I am really only interested in the audio functionality.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Just that you know MM5 extends functionality to multiple devices at once (Chromecast groups) and better support for Audio.

You can download alpha version that installs as portable to test it if you want and it can be downloaded from MM5 forum.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Peke wrote:Just that you know MM5 extends functionality to multiple devices at once (Chromecast groups) and better support for Audio.

You can download alpha version that installs as portable to test it if you want and it can be downloaded from MM5 forum.
Cool!
--
The gpzbc