changes to files not being reflected in MMA/MMW [#10166]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

zombiefly

changes to files not being reflected in MMA/MMW [#10166]

Post by zombiefly »

while performing testing for some other issues i ran into this which i'm not fully understanding.

If I remove the music from the folder on the phone from a file manager such as es file explorer/root explorer, then clear the data for MMA on the phone, the app still has all the music in it, the spinning icon is permanently spinning and the list never clears.

If I then connect the phone to MMW, then browse the files via the mobile device node in the tree, the files are still listed there also. If I select the files from the mobile device node in MMW and remove them, they clear from MMW but they are still present in MMA. Shouldn't MMA detect the files have gone from the device and update the list? Currently If I wish to completely clear down MMA, I have to first remove everything from MMW and then select all in MMA and delete.
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
rusty

Re: changes to files on phone not being reflected in MMA/MMW

Post by rusty »

Hi zombiefly,

When you remove tracks from the Android filesystem (using an explorer), what should happen is that 'Android' becomes aware of the fact that the media files are missing, and updates MMA as to that fact (kind of like the File Monitor in MMW). So when you run MMA and try to navigate to the deleted content, it should no longer be there as it should have been removed automatically--there's no need to 'clear data' for MMA. If this isn't happening, then there's a bug--though I'm unable to replicate in Android 2.3 or 4.2. It would be interesting to know what device/android version you're using, whether it fails always or not, and if not always how to reproduce.

Note that MMA data is also stored in the /MediaMonkey directory, so if you truly want to delete everything (including the DB), you have to remove that directory as well.

Now if you connect your MTP device to MMW over USB and edit/delete certain files from from the device from within MMW, the edits won't stick (though they will for a USB MS device). We're going to fix that by disabling editing of tracks in MMW for MTP devices ( http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9952 ).

Does this clarify?

-Rusty
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

thanks rusty, that's what I expected should happen.

i am using an HTC One X with CM10 SE2.0 (this is jellybean, from the Cyanogen nightly tree, but frozen and updated by another dev). I have been running this rom for a month now and it's working well, I use PlayerPro to stream to my Alpine BT head unit with no issue. The Cyanogen Apollo player also works well. Both of these players do as you explained when media is removed. MMA is not, the icon just spins and nothing appears to be happening.

One thing i have noticed is i'm constantly getting notification of the debug log being sent. it's happening all the time. I wonder what it's sending? :lol:
I am trying again now. I have cleared my device profile in MMW and tried to sync over wifi. The first analyzing bar goes to 100%, then it drops down and gets almost to the end and freezes. So now i'm trying USB sync again, play some tracks and see if it syncs back.... will be back with the results shortly...

I can debug the MMW side, is there any way of creating a logging version of MMA so I can capture the output on the android side?
Last edited by zombiefly on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I just tried on a stock Android 4.0.3 using the included My Files to delete a file and the deletion was picked up immediately by MMA.
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

ok, synced 151 tracks again over usb.
disconnected phone
tracks in mma, played 3 tracks around 1-3 mins long
reconnected usb to pc
MMW picks up, node appears in tree
right click node, auto-sync
view last 50 played playlist.... Nothing
disconnect phone
use ES file explorer on phone to delete contents of media folder <while doing this, getting constant "debug log sent, thanks" messages>
open MMA, icon spinning
click tracks, all tracks still listed, icon spinning
5mins later, icon still spinning, all tracks still there?!
open PlayerPro, all tracks removed
kill MMA via tasklist, restart
icon spins for a few seconds, debug log sent
click tracks.. all tracks still listed :(

..if i attempt to play a track it says "track not found" but then proceeds through the entire library popping up notifications. you have to force kill MMA to stop it
jiri

Post by jiri »

It might be caused by some internal problems that we are automatically notified by the crash logs. So, it's quite likely that it will be fixed in the next build.

Jiri
zombiefly

Re: changes to files not being reflected in MMA/MMW [#10166]

Post by zombiefly »

good news :D

I installed MMA .75 version, tried wifi sync and it got stuck again. Cleared data from the app, deleted mediamonkey folder from sd card and then reconfigured.

Sync now works over wifi! the metadata for the MMA plays is now reflected in MMW immediately after sync. 8)

there are some issues though:

1. track times on MMA are messed up (there is another thread on this)
2. skip doesn't appear to be counted? i've skipped a few tracks and no skip count updates in MMW. what exactly qualifies as a skip?
zombiefly

Re: changes to files not being reflected in MMA/MMW [#10166]

Post by zombiefly »

track length is now working for me using latest versions and wifi sync