MMA couldn't find MMW server - no connection

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

dmcritchie

MMA couldn't find MMW server - no connection

Post by dmcritchie »

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Device Sync forum since it applies to both. When I updated MMW and MMA a few days ago and tried to sync, MMA could no longer find the MMW server, which is on my internal WiFi network.

I ended up troubleshooting using this KB article: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... lna-server (Failure to Connect to the UPnP/DLNA Server).

So per step 6d, after changing the MMW server port to 5000 and using Fing, I was able to determine that the WIndows Firewall was blocking me. Supposedly this was fixed by MMW 4.1.14 (per step 1 - and I am running 4.1.17), so this should not have been a problem. And I checked the Windows 10 "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" Inbound Rules (per step 6b ii), and saw 3 for "MediaMonkey auto-conf 1328497419": one public TCP rule allowing all ports, and two UDP rules (one public and one private) allowing all ports.

But even so, I couldn't get through unless I entirely disabled the Windows Firewall. It turned out that the firewall entries for allowed apps (per step 6b i) were apparently not set correctly. There were 3 entries, all named "MediaMonkey auto-conf 1328497419", with 2 of them public and 1 of them private (which matches the inbound rules). However, the first 2 entries (one public and one private) had no details associated with them. Whereas the 3rd entry (a public one) had the path to MediaMonkey in it. This was key apparently because when I selected both the private AND public checkboxes for this app entry, my clients were now able to see the MMW server even with the firewall turned on.

I thought I would pass this one since it took me many hours along with the help of the KB article to figure this out. Let me know if you need more info.

Dennis
Peke

Re: MMA couldn't find MMW server - no connection

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you for detailed description. Problem arise when Firewall detect App changes and on some security updates in windows. The best approach is to Delete all AutoConf Entries and reinstall MMW on top of existing that should recreate correct one.

We are working on more stable tweak.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Thanks Pavle.

I tried your suggestion (delete all MM firewall rules and reinstall MMW), and it works fine with the firewall on.

The rules have changed: for inbound rules, there are 4 rules: two for UDP and two for TCP, and for each protocol, one is private and one is public. All allow access from all ports.

For the app rules, there are 3: two have a path to MMW (one public and one private), and the third is private, has no description and seems to serve no purpose.

But the combination of rules works fine.

Thanks again.

Dennis
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
thanks for the findings and troubleshooting!

You are right, there are supposed to be four "MediaMonkey auto-conf <NUMBER>" rules that MediaMonkey re-creates on each re-install.
(UDP/Private, TCP/Private, UDP/Public, TCP/Public), but apparently the TCP/Private was missing for you (for some reason), it probably has failed to create or something deleted the rule.

We are adjusting the flow in http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 261#c48428 , thank you for sharing your info!
Could you please try with the latest beta (4.1.18.1844) -- http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 04#p438404 ?
It should now create only three rules (Public/all, Private/all, Domain/all) and should work fine?
Please report how it works for you.

Thanks!
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Hi Ludek,

I deleted all firewall rules (app and inbound), and uninstalled MMW. I then installed the new beta version (4.1.18.1844 Beta).

MMW created 2 app rules (one private, one public) without any description. It also created 3 inbound rules (private, public, and domain). Each of the 3 rules is for all protocols and all ports. This combination works fine.

I did have one problem in that the MM service did not get automatically installed when I installed the new beta version. So I had to install it manually and provide my Windows account password. Not sure if that's expected or not, but it caused me some confusion until I thought to check to see if the MM service was running and found that it was not even installed. Once I installed it manually, the firewall rules were honored by both MMW and its service (when MMW not running).

Prior to trying this, I first tried to upgrade to the beta version (without deleting rules or uninstalling MMW), and Windows Firewall suggested I turn off public access. I did, and then found that I only had private and domain rules left, as expected. It still worked well since I was accessing the MM server on a private network. So it all seems good.

Now that I've helped you guys out, maybe you can take a look at my languishing week-old post "Re: MMA is not working with encrypted SD card [#14167]". This is actually still causing a problem for me. Thanks.

Dennis
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, thanks for update.
dmcritchie wrote: I did have one problem in that the MM service did not get automatically installed when I installed the new beta version. So I had to install it manually and provide my Windows account password. Not sure if that's expected or not, but it caused me some confusion until I thought to check to see if the MM service was running and found that it was not even installed. Once I installed it manually, the firewall rules were honored by both MMW and its service (when MMW not running).
This happened because you uninstalled MMW (thus also the service was uninstalled). If you would just re-install MMW to the same folder (without uninstalling previous) then the service would remain installed. I hope that makes sense.