Possible to stream video to TV with MM?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

terrypin

Possible to stream video to TV with MM?

Post by terrypin »

On my XP PC I used to watch videos and listen to music on my TV by wirelessly streaming it from the PC using file sharing. Both the PC and TV use the same broadband router.

But on my recently installed new Windows 10 PC I can't get that working properly. The only way I've found so far to do it is with a program I heartily dislike: Windows Media Player. This supports something called DLNA which allows me to access the WMP library from my smart TV (Panasonic TX-40CX800 VIERA).

Is there any way I can use MM instead of WMP for streaming wirelessly please?

BTW, in case it's relevant, here in Win 10 when I right click a video file xyz.mp4 there's an additional entry in the menu called Cast to Device which recognises my TV. But nothing appears to happen on the TV when I play the MP4 from the PC. A friend with a Sony smart TV tells me his plays immediately.
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
MM 5.0.2.2532 (Gold), i7 4.0 GHz running Win 10 Pro
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
Peke

Re: Possible to stream video to TV with MM?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This should be simple I hope.
For my LG TV I only Right click on Player and Select Player to be LG Smart TV and play something in MMW.

NOTE: For me TV must not be out of Smart Menu in channel watch mode.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks Pavle, but I'm a bit confused. Do you mean
"For playing on my LG TV I only Right click on Player on my PC..."

If so, what and where is the 'Player' you mention?

What OS are you using?

"NOTE: For me TV must not be in Smart Menu."

Can you explain please? What is 'Smart Menu'? Can you tell me the model of your LG TV and I will get its user manual so that I can try to understand exactly what you do
- On the PC
- On the TV
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
Peke

Post by Peke »

terrypin wrote:Thanks Pavle, but I'm a bit confused. Do you mean
"For playing on my LG TV I only Right click on Player on my PC..."
Yes, you are right I corrected my post.
terrypin wrote:If so, what and where is the 'Player' you mention?
Regular MMW Player -> Right click -> Choose Player -> LG LW5500
terrypin wrote:What OS are you using?
Currently on Win 10 Pro, But Tested also on Win 7 Ultimate both x64
terrypin wrote:Can you explain please? What is 'Smart Menu'?
Menu with TV Apps like YouTube.
Best regards,
Peke
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

After right-clicking the Player area of MMW and then clicking Choose Player I get this:

So what' s next? After hunting around I did get to this point, but I don't see how to proceed from there:

Where is the MM help documentation please? I need step-by-step details on 'How to stream to a smart TV'?'

--
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It simply just showed on the Choose Player list if you start WMP and enable sharing or enable Video sharing in windows you should see new renderer in that list also.

Unfortunately in some cases even on Windows 10 (we never found out why as it is windows setting) following steps from http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... windows-81 helped to see device

Also Windows 10 takes the old "Play To Device" from previous versions and renames it to the more familiar "Cast." (If you have a Chromecast, this is the same vocabulary Google uses to fling a video from a phone to the TV.).

To "Cast," simply right-click on any supported media file in Explorer and choose the Cast To option, then choose the networked device you want to play it on.
Best regards,
Peke
terrypin

Streaming to TV - steps in detail?

Post by terrypin »

First, streaming is a black art to me so please treat me like the ignoramus that I am on this topic!

I'm trying to set up streaming from my Win 10 PC to my smart Panasonic TV using MediaMonkey. This is instead of WMP, because I cannot get that working reliably. Usually, fiddling with the PC Win 10 and WMP settings, switching on/off, cursing, etc, gets me up and running eventiually, but since yesterday I've been trying for many hours in vain.

So what I'm hoping for are simple step-by-step instructions please. And any key Win 10 settings if needed too please.

The only reference I could see to streaming was in the dialog below. I assume this shows that DLNA (which I gather is the thing that works this magic) is enabled OK?

Clutching at straws I then tried to 'Install as service' (is that good?) but was then asked for a password to my account. I've no idea what that means. What account? In case it meant my Windows 10 User Account, I entered that (although I use only a PIN to logon to Win10), but that wasn't accepted. ("The service did not start due to a logon failure.")

Anyway, as you can see, I'm lost!

Detailed steps (or a link to them - my searches have so far not come up with any) - would be warmly appreciated please.

--
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

I never did fully understand that last post and gave up at the time, pursuing my approach via WMP instead of MM.

But, as you see from my other post on this topic this morning, I'm returning to it now.

Is there anyone else using streaming who can step me through what Peke describes please? By 'step', I mean starting from scratch, with say MM open in Win 10. Or any version of Windows.
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi, I'll see if I can make you a video along with step to step tutorial. Sorry I assumed that you have basic knowledge of Firewall and service settings.

Password you were asked for is original password not PIN you created afterwards for easier login.
Best regards,
Peke
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks Pavle, that's very kind of you. Please don't go to any great effort. It's still possible I may get either the WMP or my old WDTV unit method working. I've also, since my post this morning, had a couple of recommendations to "use VLC", albeit with no advice on how.

Re the password, I was 99% sure I did use the full original password (certainly not the 4 digit PIN). I did it when asked by the PC builder, and then opted for the PIN method. Is there any way I can get confirmation of it? Maybe I could set Win 10 for full logon, requiring the Full password, and see if it's rejected. BTW, I assume any reference to 'Username' means the one I see at login, alongside my avatar, 'Terry Pinnell' ?

MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
Peke

Post by Peke »

We'll go over that in PM due the privacy issues. anyway you can easily start/install service on your own manually and MMW will pick the settings.
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
A friend of mine have LG 42LW5500 it is 2011 Model with old Magic Remote that do not have voice commands and old smart OS?

Anyway I've been at his house today and brought MMW and MMA and we found out that TV needs to be on Regular TV channel in order to show in Player list, I also needed to disable windows firewall (later we fixed it by making MMW excluded from filtering).

Same thing from MMA also we played a song and tapped on ... Cast to -> LG Smart TV and it played.

EDIT: To be sure that Android Device and TV have communication we used this LG Remote version https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ocon&hl=en
Best regards,
Peke