DLNA without MMfW running

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

another visitor

DLNA without MMfW running

Post by another visitor »

I know that there exist tons of topics with questions like mine. However, I'm not sure whether I'm just too stupid to set up my system in a correct manner :wink: or whether there really are some unresolved issues:
System environment: Windows 10 x64, audio, video & image files are shared in MS home group. TVs and internet radios can use media via ..I don't know DLNA, UpNP...
What I want: Seperate my music file sharing from the rest; use Media Monkey for music sharing; doing that two-way: Play to TV (f. ex.) from my PC AND having access to my music from TV. Maybe later having access to my music from my smartphone over the internet (not only within the home group).

I've had no problem setting up the MM DLNA service (Tools > Options > Library > Media Sharing). With my internet radio I could access my MediaMonkey mp3 files and use the MediaMonkey "play to" function. But this only worked with MediaMonkey running. I'd love to have the same function without having to run MediaMonkey continuously. I thought the "running as a service" function would do this. But this has absolutely no effect. When running this service I have to go through the Windows UAC process and confirm my windows user password. Aftwerards the service shows up (correctly?) in the Windows task manager. Yet, access to the MediaMonkey Server is only granted when running MediaMonkey.

What else do I have to do?
dtsig

Re: DLNA without MMfW running

Post by dtsig »

After setting up the service and with MMW off have you looked in services to see that the service is indeed running?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
another visitor

Yes, it WAS still running (although the preferences differed from the WMP "play to" service).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note that the MM Service only allows you to pull from the MM server from a client, you can't push (play to).

Did you make sure that you used the same Windows account to setup the MM Service as is used to run MediaMonkey? MM settings are per Windows account and this includes the MM Server settings.
another visitor

I only use one Windows account. I'm not sure whether the installation of MediaMonkey needs admin rights because they are needed (?) to set up the service. I noticed that the service is established no matter what password I type in. Afterwards the service is running anyway. This is weird...

Post by Guest »

problem solved!

I had to make some slight changes in the service configurations. It has already been explained in this post.
Anyway, I don't have a clue what I really did there or why MediaMonkey needs a different configuration than all the other services ("log in as <user name>" vs. "log in as [network service] / [local service]) :)
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

The reason is that mmw is a single user system. Each user has their initialization info. Log in as another windows user and the setup could look completely different. The service works the same way. Think of the service as MMW with most all the functionality removed.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig