some questions on network stored library

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

edzillion

some questions on network stored library

Post by edzillion »

I am trying to set up a central store for my library on a home server I have running ubuntu. I followed some advice lowrider gave to another user here and set it up like this:

Files stored on network share (samba share on ubuntu).
One master machine holding the DB with the library accessed via

\\SERVER\storage\music

Other 'client' machines with portable install connect to the master machine via UPnP/DNLA.

My questions:

* When streaming am I taking a sound quality penalty?
* On the client machines you don't get to browse songs, and instead have to search the tree. That's because they don't have the DB right?
* Is there no way to share the DB over the network?

I have a 4.* license, would love to see some kind of server for media monkey for this kind of setup. would definitely pay for it if it meant having full browse on each client and the files streamed from the server (ubuntu ideally)

Thanks for your time!
Lowlander

Re: some questions on network stored library

Post by Lowlander »

1) Depends on your settings. MediaMonkey can Auto-Convert when sending content to a client in which case quality may be lower.

2) You can scan a DLNA Server in MediaMonkey, which would give you regular browsing/searching capability. Be aware that DLNA Servers may change how content is served requiring to rescan.

3) Yes: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... nvironment however note that the database engine isn't really designed for multiple simultaneous clients accessing it.