Media Sharing As a Service not working

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Pink_Floyd

Media Sharing As a Service not working

Post by Pink_Floyd »

Error:
When running MMW Media Sharing As a Service, Connection Failed error message on MMA (both HTC and Nexus); when starting MMW interactive connection on MMA (both HTC and Nexus) successful.

Set-up:
MMA Version 1.1.3.0461, installed on HTC One M8 running on Android 5.1
MMA Version 1.1.3.0461, installed on Nexus 10 running on Android 5.1
MMW Version 4.1.8.1751, installed on Intel NUC i5 running with Windows 8.1
NAS Synology Diskstation with the actual music.

Done so far:
Tried to run as a service both with the system profile (copied the MM data first), and the user for which MMW was installed > no difference.
Have added and enabled a new Media Server entry, and disabled to old one > no difference.
Have re-installed MMW many times, with additional clean-up of left over Windows Registry entries for MediaMonkey > no difference.
Used both the As a Service methods, the manual installation method on the command line as an Administrator, as well as the button on the Tools > Options > Media Sharing menu in MMW > no difference.
Set the MMW to start As A Service to Automatic - delayed > no difference.

Observations:
In the Task Manager > Services, the MediaMonkey Service has the status Running, so that looks like to be Ok.
When running MMW As A service only, a netstat -a does not show the configured port for the Media Server to be active, only when running MMW interactive, it shows up.
So it looks like the MediaMonkey Service is started and running, but the actual activation of some required process is not (properly) working.
Windows Event viewer does not show errors regarding the MediaMonkey Service.
In the .ini file, DLNA_Player_UUID= [blanks].
When entering the user name in the Log On tab of the MediaMonkey Service, the entered name is preceded with .\, and this prefix cannot be removed.

The MM.DB file is the same (actually a copy) as initially used for over one year now and installed initially on the same NAS where the music files are stored.
Was thinking about creating a new MM.DB file, and import all the music into this new file, although still not sure what would be difference, as all is working Ok when starting MMW interactive.
Can I debug the MediaMonkey Service in any way ?

Any help is appreciated.

Jan
MMW Gold Version 4.1.8.1751
MMA Pro Version 1.1.3.0461
Pink_Floyd

Re: Media Sharing As a Service not working

Post by Pink_Floyd »

** Update **
Media Sharing As a Service working now for me :D

Did a clean installation of MMW Version 4.1.8.1751 on the Intel NUC and did not re-use my previous mm.db this time, so a complete clean installation.
Had to enable As a Service by starting MMW once as Administrator.
Now the MediaMonkey Library is recognized instantly, and accessible.

Can start enjoying MM even more 8)

Jan
MMW Gold Version 4.1.8.1751
MMA Pro Version 1.1.3.0461