How to Turn Off Auto-Conversion for ALAC?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Musicfan145

How to Turn Off Auto-Conversion for ALAC?

Post by Musicfan145 »

How do I convince MMW that my DLNA receiver (Denon AVR-x4100w) can play ALAC files? I've tried unchecking all the MM auto-conversion rules for the media server (and for the control point), and I have made sure that .M4A is listed as a compatible format for UPNP/DLNA. I even stopped and restarted the MediaMonkey service, but the files are still being converted to MP3 160Kbps.

As a workaround, I added an auto-conversion rule to convert high-bitrate .MP4's to FLAC, and it plays. But this adds another layer of complexity and adds to the processor load (and thus the fan noise) of my HTPC. And it fills up the MM cache with flac files, which will presumably slow down syncing to MMA.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Before you ask why I don't just convert my collection to FLAC, let me answer you: Because I have six Apple portables and only 3 non-Apple portables. And because my wife loves music and she loves her iPhone, and when you have a wife that loves music, you do what you need to to keep her happy. :D
Musicfan145

Re: How to Turn Off Auto-Conversion for ALAC?

Post by Musicfan145 »

Musicfan145 wrote:As a workaround, I added an auto-conversion rule to convert high-bitrate .MP4's to FLAC, and it plays.
It plays, but the metadata doesn't all come through. It drops the artist, or fails to update when the track changes. Problems I don't have when using Jriver as the server and letting the Denon do all the decoding. Sigh...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=20&t=69
Musicfan145

Post by Musicfan145 »

Lowlander wrote:Capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=20&t=69
OK, I installed the debug version of MM (although not without some difficulty) and the Microsoft Debug viewer. I captured a log of the event.

Now I am trying to log in to enter a ticket on the support site, but it keeps giving me an invalid username/password error. I tried doing a password reset, but still get the same error. If I click "register," it kicks me back to the forum, where I am (obviously) already logged in.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may want to PM Rusty with a message you're having trouble logging into support.
musicfan145_2

Post by musicfan145_2 »

:D Update & Solution:

I never was able to get my original login to work on the support site. I ended up having to create a new account under a different email address. Once I did that, I was able to submit a ticket. The support desk wrote back within a day with a solution: In addition to unchecking all the autoconversion rules, I had to also un-check "Level volume when converting audio" (just below the list of auto-conversion rules).