A few questions

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

LordWolf

A few questions

Post by LordWolf »

Hopefully what I want to do is possible so I'll try to keep it all simple. I'm able to get sharing to work, so no issues with that part of the process. It's some tweaking for how the sharing works that I need help with.

1. Episode numbers prefixed to title.
For the tag information, the series, season, episode, title information is all separated, so title is only the name of the episode (if the title is known, otherwise it's blank).
What I would like is for the title displayed when browsing is the episode number with the name after it (or just "Episode ##" if title is empty/missing). As it is now, it sorts alphabetically by episode name which means episodes are 'out of order'. (If prefixing with information requires the season number to be included, I'm fine with that.)

2. Browsing similar to folder structure.
File structure wise, I have ./TV/<series name>/<season number if more than one season exists for series>/<name+season+episode+title if any> where the last part may seem redundant because of the existing information based on folders, but it helps if i ever want to reorganize or just copy select episodes over to another device to view on the go.
What I would like is when I browse via a device is to navigate must the same way, sort of how it seems to work now, except would like to have it let me pick which season to browse instead of going right to the list of episodes.

3. When browsing via location, since I only have one drive in the list, skip past selecting the drive and even folders until there is more than one choice available. Sort of like, if there is only one choice (aside from 'previous' menu), why should I be made to select it? I believe what I'm looking for is a way to include only a folder (and possibly it's subfolders) as a 'root' instead of the entire tree to that folder and it's subfolders.

To rephrase things to hopefully clarify what I'm looking to do.
How it is now (at least my experience)...
Server/All files/(pick number or letter)/Names (episode names it seems)
Server/Series/Series Name/All episodes
Server/Location/(drive)/(folder structure)/List of episodes sorted by episode name but no season#/episode# info.

What I would like...
Server/All files/(pick number or letter)/Series Name/Season/list of episodes sorted by episode number (or)
Server/All files/(pick number or letter)/Series Name/list of episodes sorted by season&episode number (or)
Server/All files/(pick number or letter)/List of episodes sorted by series name/season#/episode # (with title showing)

Server/Series/Series Name/Season/Episodes sorted by episode # (or)
Server/Series/Series Name/Episodes sorted by season&episode#

Server/Location/(skip structure points where only one option is available, sort of like autoselecting)/List of episodes sorted by season&episode# with title (if known).

Now, I know that I *could* put the season/episode number in with the title, but then that would make the season#/episode# fields pointless.

If I sound like a noob on doing this, well you're partially right. I'm accustomed to browsing via a network sharing using the computer, but for streaming, just really started trying to set things up so I can browse via the television (Samsung Smart TV) and so I'm feeling a bit lost on how to achieve what I'm looking for.

Also, is there a way to change the MM icon to something different (the TV shows the MM icon with the server name I chose for it)?
dtsig

Re: A few questions

Post by dtsig »

At least for #1 look into the addon MagicNodes.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
LordWolf

Post by LordWolf »

Trying the latest version of Magic Nodes and I'm liking it so far, but I'm starting to think part of the issue is what the TV is doing with the information.

I believe it's looking at the title (or using the file name if the title is blank) and then sorting it alphabetically. If there was a way to attach the episode number in front of the title (even if the title is blank) I think that would resolve that issue. Not sure if Magic Nodes can accomplish that for me, though it is looking to be useful at least when using MediaMonkey as a client platform when connecting to a MediaMonkey server (server with Magic Nodes, easily manipulate how it appears on the client).
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

If you look through the posts in that thread (or search for dtsig) he attempted to answer that problem/question for me. I have not really had a chance to go back and test his replies.

Also know that he has a version, available by donation last i checked, on his site with more features enhancements. Always nice to donate to such a good cause.

I will try to get back to this week as I really would like to auto-magically get the date on videos, listing as:
Day the Earth Stood Still-1951
Day the Earth Stood Still-2008

And as you mention with TV so say select '3rd Rock from the Sun' and see as the titles ..
Brains and Eggs - S01E01
Post Nasal Dick - S01E02
Dick's First Birthday - S01E03

This is what you are thinking .. yes?

Also, I suggest that we pick this up over on the thread for MagicNodes .. lots of smart people there
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) No, unless you change the Title tag: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8742
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Not even with MagicNodes as we were discussing? I think you are the one who pointed me towards that back when I was asking this before.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not aware that MagicNodes can alter tag display, it as far I know only creates a custom folder structure.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Oh that makes me sad :(
I was really looking forward to that.
I will contact the designer on the thread to see

Thanks for the clarification.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
LordWolf

Post by LordWolf »

dtsig wrote:I will try to get back to this week as I really would like to auto-magically get the date on videos, listing as:
Day the Earth Stood Still-1951
Day the Earth Stood Still-2008
I'm having it put the year in [ ]'s. So for me it would be "Day the Earth Stood Still [1951]" as an example. Helps it to stand out and trying to get MM to parse ( )'s correctly is a PITA, so brackets it is. Not an issue really.
dtsig wrote:And as you mention with TV so say select '3rd Rock from the Sun' and see as the titles ..
Brains and Eggs - S01E01
Post Nasal Dick - S01E02
Dick's First Birthday - S01E03

This is what you are thinking .. yes?
More like when displaying the titles of the individual episodes, it would appear as one of the following...
01 Brains and Eggs
01x01 Brains and Eggs
S01E01 Brains and Eggs

That way it's sorted numerically with the title afterwards. With the first example (preferred), since I'd already have navigated to the series and season, I'd only need the episode number and name. Since there is a tag for episode number, just a matter of pulling it, adding the title after it and then sending that as the title name.

dtsig wrote:Oh that makes me sad :(
I was really looking forward to that.
I will contact the designer on the thread to see
Custom folder structure isn't a bad thing. When using a server MM and a client MM, it is remarkable. I donated a few dollars (I can't afford much) and got the latest version (which is what I was referring to in my previous post). Definitely a useful addon and even if it doesn't serve my original desired purpose, it's still worth it for the power it offers overall. So no loss even though it isn't able to do what I was hoping for (at least it doesn't seem capable of it).

I mentioned the problem I was having to a friend and she mentioned it to her husband and he recommended something else to use and it looks awesome. So I'm thinking of using MM for organizing, tagging, music streaming, then this other program for being a video streaming server. Since I don't know if it's okay to mention the name of competing products, I purposely avoided it.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

PM me what they are thinking .. i would be interested. I have looked at a lot of options but MMW has served me best so far.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig