1726: server not bookmarking .

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

dtsig

1726: server not bookmarking .

Post by dtsig »

We were watching a movie in the frontroom. MMW was running as a service in the office. I went into the office and dclicked mmw .. which of course stopped the service and then cancelling the movie.
I wanted to see how far into the movie we had got. But lastplayed and played show nothing. This bookmarking needs to be corrected.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Re: 1726: server not bookmarking .

Post by Lowlander »

DLNA isn't reliable for capturing actual playback, thus there is some % value chosen (must be mentioned somewhere on the forum) of file served before Last Played and Played# get updated. Bookmarking isn't supported over DLNA.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I know that bookmarking isn't supported under dlna .. but since mmw is capable of noting how far it has gotten in a file I would suggest that the service should be able to do the same (though i haven't tried dlna while mmw is running to see if it notes at all). But 0 or 1 is not very granular .. heck even the 'streaming bit' should be able to know if it has done 10% of the file or not. And putting the date in after the first 10% is streamed really shouldn't be rocket science either.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

dtsig wrote:I know that bookmarking isn't supported under dlna
That's what you're using when running the Service.

The problem as discussed before is that many clients cache parts or whole files thus MediaMonkey has no indication if what has been sent to a client has actually been played. Now don't get me wrong I'd love to see bookmarking for video over DLNA, but when Play History was discussed when DLNA was implemented the previous has been discussed as a big problem working with DLNA clients.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

And I get that there is no control from MM point of view of what the client can/cant do .. so minimal is the *standard* but as we know that is just a race to the bottom :) At least when MMW->MMW or MMA->MMW should have much better than the *standard*.
But still as the file is streamed (or watched or ..) MM must know how many bits IT has processed. And that should be what is noted .. not just 0 or 1. I hope this comes up for discussion again with the devs
And thanks lowlander ..
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It very well knows what it has send, but there is no assurance that the client has played any of it. So a bookmark at the point it send won't necessarily be anywhere near what the client has played. That means for many clients the bookmark wouldn't be at where you left off.

Now with MMW, MMA and MM8 I hope they build a custom setup on top of the DLNA protocol (there have been some hints that MMW5 may get there) so that syncing (also MMW > MMW) and streaming provide many more features on top of what DLNA provides (like editing and bookmarking). I personally don't see a reason why this couldn't coexist on top of standard DLNA for all other clients/servers/control points).
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Well .. great minds almost think alike :) Only change I would say is that atleast if the stream starts the start date/time should go in last played. As long as it is streaming one has to assume the client is playing :)
Thanks again...
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This is a problem as some clients cache without playing. Also many won't want to register playback at beginning of track as neither MMW nor MMA do this for local playback.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

True .. so what you are saying is that there should be an option in Tools/Options/Dlna.. That is what i was thinking :)
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig